Best high, TV quality movie edit software to DVD burn?

I need the best software for high, TV quality movie edit to DVD burn. I am using Adobe Premiere now. The quality of avi is not being replicated onto DVD. Why?

Also, I must go back and forth between NTSC, which I shot on, and PAL. Will that affect the quality?

Every editing /recode will affect the quality.

sorry ,guys … duplicated my post :frowning:

[QUOTE=Tim Lies;2413892] I am using Adobe Premiere now. The quality of avi is not being replicated onto DVD. Why?

Also, I must go back and forth between NTSC, which I shot on, and PAL. Will that affect the quality?[/QUOTE]

because Premiere is not designed to do the best converting job…

u need some different software … i think there are tutorials within CDF which may help u to learn the use of better, but more difficult too learn , software , which will convert divx file to the tsvideo format of a dvd … search around …

also , if u prefer , see our VSO forum regarding the divx conveter

hope this helps

[QUOTE=ozzieboy;2415148]because Premiere is not designed to do the best converting job…

u need some different software … i think there are tutorials within CDF which may help u to learn the use of better, but more difficult too learn , software , which will convert divx file to the tsvideo format of a dvd … search around …

also , if u prefer , see our VSO forum regarding the divx conveter

hope this helps[/QUOTE]

Hey Ozzieboy! Just curious as to what you are basing your statement on, concerning Premiere not being a good encoder. Premiere uses the MainConcept encoder, which is a good encoder.

fair question …

well, harley2ride … is something that each user will form a view on … is subjective rather than an absolute …

but ,whereas Premiere tries to be for everything … as an alternative example, TMPGenc ,is primarily for encoding ,editing which produces a better encoded output … { imho }

have a look at

http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/12650-TMPGEnc-4_0-Xpress-Review/

full res to Dee :wink:

is a very good review … i have it bookmarked

The point is, the encoding engine within Premiere is MainConcept. MainConcept has been, and continues to be one of the best encoders around. I’ve used it in the past and found it slightly superior to TMPGenc’s encoder of that time, mostly in terms of speed, but MainConcept also included a capture feature that I liked. I think it would be several steps up from VSO’s program, ConvertXtoDVD, which I have also tried.

What are the specifications of the original avi files?

[QUOTE=ozzieboy;2416275]fair question …

well, harley2ride … is something that each user will form a view on … is subjective rather than an absolute …

but ,whereas Premiere tries to be for everything … as an alternative example, TMPGenc ,is primarily for encoding ,editing which produces a better encoded output … { imho }

have a look at

http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/12650-TMPGEnc-4_0-Xpress-Review/

full res to Dee :wink:

is a very good review … i have it bookmarked[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with your comment about quality being subjective. You might also look at www.videohelp.com in their forums, there was a very long thread with actual screen shots of clips encoded with each of the various encoding softwares, using different settings (CBR/VBR, etc…). Even after all that work, the results were not definitive, and there was very little difference between the major encoding softwares, as far as quality goes. TMPGENC did not score as well as you might believe.

I followed the thread for a long time, but the results didn’t change all that much. Adobe Premiere and Vegas Professional (both highly recommended professional video editing packages), use Mainconcept. Procoder is very good as well. There will always be debate over which is better. The point is that both of those are very high quality, PROFESSIONAL encoders. Then there is HCENC, QUENC, CCE, and TMPGENC. You will find articles on the web saying that Mainconcept is best, you will find others saying procoder is, and same for most of the other main ones… The bulk of the industry is using mainconcept and procoder.

fair enough , harley2ride … but , remember , this thread was started by Tim Lies who was not happy with the results he got using Premiere

… all of my comments have been based on trying to offer alternatives to him to try …

[QUOTE=ozzieboy;2416717]fair enough , harley2ride … but , remember , this thread was started by Tim Lies who was not happy with the results he got using Premiere

… all of my comments have been based on trying to offer alternatives to him to try …[/QUOTE]

Ozzieboy! I definitely appreciate your comments and input. I’m just trying to make sure that folks get all the information, and more than just one viewpoint. Look forward to seeing more info from you in the forums.

Tim’s problems could be related to how much video he is trying to put onto a single dvd, the bitrate he is using, the encoding options he is selecting. We need Tim to give us more details.
Tim, What is your source and how are you getting it from tv to your computer. What format are you capturing it as? Are you recording from a tv tuner card as dvr-ms or some other format? We need all the steps that you take, and we need to know what encoding options you are selecting. And why do you need to go between NTSC and PAL?