Best HDDs, CDRW & DVD configuration?

vbimport

I have just bought a new LTD 165 drive and already have two HDDs (one master OS, one slave back-up device) and a LT 32123S CDRW. Is is OK to have OS HDD & CDRW together on channel 0 and HDD back-up and LTD 165 on 1. I will need CDRW on primary to allow flash to 40125S but is it best then in terms of performance to swap things around?

Thanks

I will need CDRW on primary to allow flash to 40125S

Not really, but that’s your choice.
There are numerous threads discussing IDE configuration. There’s no “right” way to configure, it all depends on your needs.
Having HD and CD drives on the same channel can introduce issues, like pauses in HD activity when you access a CD. Most people get excellent performance from having the HD’s on one channel and CD’s on another. But if you must access the CD drives at the same time from different processes, they need to be on different channels.

I had mine set up as: Hdd w/OS master ide1, LTD166S slave ide 1,
48125W master ide 2, hdd storage slave ide 2.
I now have an additional burner, so I put in a raid.
:smiley:

I think that the best configuration would be:

Primary Master: OS HDD
Primary Slave: Storage HDD
Secondary Master: 32123S CD-RW
Secondary Slave: LTD-165

Edit: fixed my mistake

Originally posted by LiteOnGuy
[B]I think that the best configuration would be:

[/B]

What he said.

LiteOnGuy… I think you meant this… =D

Thanks SkYLiNe. You said what I meant. :o :slight_smile:

Primary Slave: LTR-48125w
Primary Master: STORAGE HDD
Primary Slave: LTD-163D

syxx

Originally posted by syxx73
[B]Primary Master: OS HDD
Primary Slave: LTR-48125w
Primary Master: STORAGE HDD
Primary Slave: LTD-163D

syxx [/B]

Why don’t you do some benchmarks w/ SiSoft Sandra on all the possible configs and see if your totally awesome and different config comes out on top…

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]

Why don’t you do some benchmarks w/ SiSoft Sandra on all the possible configs and see if your totally awesome and different config comes out on top… [/B]

not a bad idea but i dont worry about benchmarks . this is just the combo that has worked best for me . i havent tried the 2 hdd’s on primary & 2 optical’s on secondary . i might give it a go though but u know the saying “if it aint broke then dont fiddle with it” well ill prob leave it alone

syxx

True.

My own experience with HD’s on one channel and opticals on one channel is that it resulted in slightly higher transfer speeds between the drives that are sharing a channel, and with the drives split as “syxx73” has them, transfer speeds are a little slower but multitasking is much better. (indeed, multitasking 2 optical drives on the same channel is nearly impossible). the difference in speed was only evident in HD to HD transfers. this was on a VIA-133 chipset board with 4in1 drivers. I’ve since seen the light and banished all HD’s to a controller card.

edit: HERE’S a thread on the topic.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]My own experience with HD’s on one channel and opticals on one channel is that it resulted in slightly higher transfer speeds between the drives that are sharing a channel, and with the drives split as “syxx73” has them, transfer speeds are a little slower but multitasking is much better. (indeed, multitasking 2 optical drives on the same channel is nearly impossible). the difference in speed was only evident in HD to HD transfers. this was on a VIA-133 chipset board with 4in1 drivers. I’ve since seen the light and banished all HD’s to a controller card.

edit: HERE’S a thread on the topic. [/B]

I have also moved my hdd’s to a controller but had most success with the burner as the master. Although that was with an older burner. Since I installed a LiteOn 48125W I never tried it as the slave.

I never tried it as the slave

No difference on current boards.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

No difference on current boards.

Had my HDs on separate promise ATA100 PCI controller cards (one for each system) for a while, so that all four drives (2HD, DVD, CDRW) were set as master on own channel. But like you said, since it doesn’t make a difference on modern mobos, (KT266, KT266A), and that having 2 extra IDE cables (rounded) running arcross the case didn’t help the appearance at all, I have since then took out the controllers and put all the drives on the onboard IDEs. Did you know putting HDs on controllers delays bootup time 'cause they are checked by the controller? Less is more, people…

I’m using that same setup you mentioned too stoner, with everything on their own channel as master. I would move the hd’s to the onboard IDE just to check, but on my mobo(which is almost 2 years old now), only supports ata100 on the promise controller slots(it is not a seperate card, it is also “onboard”, the promise chip is built onto the actual board). So if i moved hd’s to the other slots, it would be ata66, so I really doubt that would help me…

I have the following sutup and have no problems with it:

Pri Master: 20GB HDD
Pri Slave: LiteON 52246S
Sec Master: Asus E616
Sec Slave: Philips CDRW1610A

I have this configuration on my main desktop computer:

Primary Master: Maxtor 60GB HDD
Primary Slave: none
Secondary Master: Lite-On LTR-32123S CD-RW
Secondary Slave: KHypermedia (re-badged Benq) 48x24x48 CD-RW

It works great, and I can burn at max speed on both CD-RWs (I haven’t tried doing it simultaneously, though).