Best generic settings dvd to divx - help

Hi
Im new to DVDfab, I want to convert a dvd with 6 half hour episodes separatly to divx. What would be the best file size or should I use a fixed bit rate for each episode to have a decent quality. My screen size is: 720x544

In other words what are the best settings for a half hour dvd file to get a decent quality.:slight_smile:
THNX

Hi nickhirst. You will probably need to increase the video bitrate from the default starting value to get really good video (but this is subjective). If file size is no object, try about 2000 kb/s. You have chosen a large screen size which will require lots of bits to make a a good picture. Look at the “bits/pixel” column. This reading will change as you adjust the video bitrate slider. Try to get it above 0.2 (and even higher would be better). I do all my conversions at 0.4-0.6.

I have been doing this encoding stuff for years with the target device being a large TV (50") and the file playing on a Network Media player (Ziova CS-505) and when doing this you have to ensure that the bitrate/quality tradeoff is correct.

I have found DVDFab great to use instead of the three tools that I had to use before.

For most 16:9 PAL Movies, I use generic.xvid.audiocopy set at at 720 x 400 resolution, adjust the bitrate to 1100, then set 2 pass encoding.

This gives me great results on both the TV/Ziova and on my PC’s and a 1:30s movie usually ends up around 1.4Gb with no discernable loss from the DVD quality.

Great info, Gregiboy.

Thanks Signals,

It certainly is a lot easier than ripping with DVD Decrypter and using AutoGK, VirtualDubMod & FFDShow to output a file in at least a three step process.

For everyone’s information, the files encoded this way will stream fine over 802.11g wireless to network media players.

I have tested it with D-Link, Zensonic, Ziova & MediaGate players.

If anyone wants any more info, please ask on this post.

Greg

There is only one feature from my three pass encoding that I miss…

This is the ability to crop anamorphic widescreen movies.

What I mean here is that that the movies actually occupy 720 x 304 pixels and are encoded at 720 x 400 (PAL).

Therefore there are 48 pixel black bands at both the top and the bottom. I was able to set up this cropping in VirtualDubMod so that the video image was clean of these.

It is not really an issue as the file still displays correctly on a 16:9 widescreen as it normally would. It is only when played on a PC player where the player background is not black that it is noticeable. Also, because the compression is nearly unaffected as there is no change from frame to frame of this band.

Picky, I know, but I do like to get things PERFECT !!!

:sad:

I have thought about a media server but it would have to wireless. If I ever get around to it i will remember that you have blazed the trail.

[QUOTE=signals;1952100]I have thought about a media server but it would have to wireless. If I ever get around to it i will remember that you have blazed the trail.[/QUOTE]
I take it that you mean the Media Players would have to be wireless???

If that is the case, the Ziova’s and the D-Links will work fine with the above encoding method without stutterbut I’m not too keen on Disaster-Link equipment

The optimal solution is something like an Infrant ReadyNas 2 Terrabyte running Twonky uPnP Server so that PC’s do not have to be turned on to serve the media to the players.

All works fine for me… Now up to 700+ movies and growing, 12000+ MP3 tracks and a gazillion digital photos…

Yeah, call on me anytime.:iagree:

Regards,
Greg

Hey thanks for the replys! Have tried out Greggiboys method, Fantastic!
Dont have a media center at home but a dvd player with a redundant 160gb hd now I have a use for it!:smiley:

Hi , Now have a small problem, it doesnt seem to matter what I tick or untick, there always seems to be subtitles running on the finished file. Would love to be able to convert without these or at least be able to turn them off. Also should I use a fix bitrate or fix size THNX

[QUOTE=nickhirst;1952126]Hi , Now have a small problem, it doesnt seem to matter what I tick or untick, there always seems to be subtitles running on the finished file. Would love to be able to convert without these or at least be able to turn them off. Also should I use a fix bitrate or fix size THNX[/QUOTE]
On the subtitles (subpicture), are you sure you are doing this:-

Turning all the subpictures off and turning “display only forced subpicture” on.

I would always choose the fixed bitrate of 1100Kbps

HI,

It sounds like I have been having similar problems, I have been trying to rip movies to my hard drive so I can view them with windows media player 11 and on my PS3 through a DLNA server. I have tried the generic avi xvid mp3 and the mp4. All I get is audio when playing these. I am going to try your suggestions in this post. If you have other suggestions please I am all ears.

Thanks

I was ripping a movie and had that same problem.
i checked it to rip the movie with the subtitle file separately, but didnt know it. even if you chose to rip the subtitle, if you dont want them, back them up in another folder and delete it out of the folder with the movie in it. after i did that, the subtitles were gone and the movie plays fine. now, if you chose to have the subs ripped into the movie, uncheck that option and rerip.

[QUOTE=bruce2chevy;1953654]HI,

It sounds like I have been having similar problems, I have been trying to rip movies to my hard drive so I can view them with windows media player 11 and on my PS3 through a DLNA server. I have tried the generic avi xvid mp3 and the mp4. All I get is audio when playing these. I am going to try your suggestions in this post. If you have other suggestions please I am all ears.

Thanks[/QUOTE]Ok I have been doing this for about 3 months now and HAD the same problem. First off you have to make sure your medis extender supports your format. If it plays in WMP 11 90% of the time it will play on your media extender.

Check out the following and see if that helps:Note xvid + source audio