Best for budget

vbimport

I have a theoretical budget of $1000, and am pondering my options for building a new machine. I will be doing a lot of video editing on the machine, so hdd size and cpu performance outweigh some of the other basics. Just looking for opinions about what some of the best midline graphics cards, etc are.

Budget only includes the case and all contained therein, monitor, etc will be separate.

The following information is based on my reading of numerous sites arond , so no “war” of who´s better than the other wanted:

Would suggest the following, if u have the time to spare:

[ul]
[li]http://www.sharkyextreme.com[/li][li]http://www.anandtech.com[/li][/ul]Look for the the PC Buyers guide which are pretty good in giving you Ideas in what hardware to get. Usually they have something like: basic (or entry), High end and overclocking, after reading these u can judge what´s better for u, perhaps combining pieces of different guides, which I did and worked perfectly.
Anyhow would suggest:

[ul]
[li]MSI K8N NEO2 platinum Mobo (148$)[/li][li]AMD A64 3200+ Socket 939 (215$) or 3500+ (270$)[/li][li]1 gig RAM corsair valueselect "VS1GBKIT400 " (140$). If you´re not OC. If you are, get some other high end, but are much more costly.[/li][li]Vid Card: AIW 9800 pro (240$)[/li][li]NEC 3500a DVD RW (65$) or two??[/li][li]Sound Blaster AUDIGY2 ZS PCI (93$)[/li][li]Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive (97$) or Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive (180$)[/li][/ul]OOps I forgot the case, u should add 80 to 120$ for a good quality case with a ok PSU.
That´s pretty much a 1000-1100$ rig, actually 998$ with min specs provided here, and a damn good one, . Just missing the case+psu, a lot to choose from.

Hope that helped! :iagree:

excellent guide for PCs in 3 diff price ranges. you can mix and match the Hot Rod with the Budget Box to come in right around $1000.

Motherboard: FOXCONN “755FXK8AA-8EKRS” SiS 755FX

Price: 94$

Memory: Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200

Price: 143$

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939 64-bit Processor - Retail

Price: 156$

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 Mid-Tower Case with 350W Power Supply

Price: 86$

HDD: Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model HDS722525VLAT80

Price: 128$

Video: AOpen nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, AGP 8X -RETAIL

Price: 230$

ODD: NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Black, Model ND-3520A BK, OEM

Price: 65$

Floppy: SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model MPF920, OEM

Price: 7$

Something like this perhaps?
//Danne

Read My Signature…

That complete system cost me just over $900 all from Newegg.com

Just one quick addition…

Whatever Case you go with, make sure your Power Supply has at least 18A on the 12v rail. 20-22 would be perfect.

And My rig, I use for Video Editing and Gaming, and I get “0” issues.

save a few $$$ by getting a motherboard with built in 5.1 audio…

well the ASUS K8VSE deluxe for Socket 754 has built in 6ch audio through the SPDIF out. Plus it also has Wireless G capabilities.

:bow: AMD + ASUS!

I appreciate everybody’s responses, my wife and I had our 2nd kid within 2 hours of my thread post and so I’ve been out of commission for a while.

Congratulations!

but… are you sure your going to have time for video editing? :wink:
… on the up side, you’ll have plenty to do while your video is encoding. :bigsmile:

Back on topic:
Athlon 64 is definatley the way to go with your budget. The Corsair ValueSelect memory listed above is also your best choice as far as memory goes. The 1GB Dual pack (2x512) should be more than enough. I just got the dual pack from newegg to replace my old memory (one Crucial stick failed).

As for a case, the following one is quite nice:
Antec SLK3700AMB. It should also available in black/grey. You might want to upgrade the Power Supply (depends what kind of accessories/number of HD & optical drives you will add.)

What ever case you get, I would recommend adding a fan or two. (Intake or exhaust.) Also, do not forget Thermal Grease for attatching the processor and heatsink. Arctec Silver brand is widely regarded as the best.

Don’t forget Cables! Additional IDE, SATA, Floppy, SPDIF (CD/DVD to Sound Card/Motherboard), and Power Adapter (for SATA, or additional Case Fans). Some of these may be provided with other hardware (motherboard, soundcard), but best be sure you get everything you need to avoid any hassles. I would also recommend getting a hard drive cooler (most modern drives get quite hot), not to mention video editing is very disk intensive. I have a few of the following: Bay Cooler. Not cheap, but they last a long time. Mine have been running for over 5 years now (almost continuously). They do produce a fair bit of “white noise.”

You probably have a keyboard/monitor/mouse to use as well, but I thought I would remind you none the less.

Good luck!