Best for Audio CD?

My highest priority is Burning Audio-CD
After reading and reading the forum , i think best is Optiarc 72xx
And second is Pioneer 115/215.
Am i right ?
But in my country my options are limited: :a
Lite-on , pioneer, samsung, sony, LG, Asus, and a few Plextor models(so expensive, so i’m not interested)

Which brand and model is equal or rebagged Optiarc 72xx ?
or
if i couldn’t find Optiarc or rebagged , which one is better for Audio-CD ?

Please some one answer me coz i need to buy new drive today.
I found that Sony DRU-870S is OEM of Sony Optiarc AD-7240S
Sony Optiarc AD-7240S / Sony DRU-870S 24 × DVD Writer

So can some one help me ? Sony DRU-870 or Pioneer 215/216

is it possible to cross flash DRU-870 with SD-7240 Firmwares ?

Hi,[QUOTE=bobzombie;2305015]My highest priority is Burning [B]Audio-CD[/B]
After reading and reading the forum , i think best is Optiarc 72xx
And second is Pioneer 115/215.
Am i right ?[/quote]They are on par.

if i couldn’t find Optiarc or rebagged , which one is better for Audio-CD ?
Then go for the Pioneer.

Michael

Finally after searching every store in the town ,
In a dark cold corner with lots of spider webs , i found and bought a Optiarc 7200A :a

Well, i have to admit that Audio CD burning with this drive
( Optiarc AD-7200A ) is 100% perfect, but only when i scan with my combo Sony CDRX320EE (liteon rebagged) .
i don’t know why CD-R scans with this drive sux a$$ :a ???
I will post scans later in related forum.

Hi,

I’d like to see the scans :slight_smile:
Well, scans aren’t everything. I have an old JVC UX-T1 that was not designed to support writeable media.
Apart from my Pioneer 112, the AD7200A is the only drive from my collection that burns CD-R that are playable by this {censored} JVC unit. All other drives (LG, TSST, Liteon, Benq) fail - even with top notch TY media.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2306393]Hi,

I’d like to see the scans :slight_smile:
Well, scans aren’t everything. I have an old JVC UX-T1 that was not designed to support writeable media.
Apart from my Pioneer 112, the AD7200A is the only drive from my collection that burns CD-R that are playable by this {censored} JVC unit. All other drives (LG, TSST, Liteon, Benq) fail - even with top notch TY media.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I have a “Sony 308ESD” from old eighties and i love it. (older than your JVC)
I tried many CD-R , but believe me or not , the best media that i found for this old drive is : Cheap CD-R media branded RiData : Ritek Co. Type7 ( Phtalocyanine: gold )
I suggest u try it for your JVC

Well, Ritek, CMC and TY do work - if I burn them with either my AD7200 or my Pioneer 112. Sometimes even my LG manages to burn a disc that is not refused by this unit. But that’s all.

I don’t use that JVC for Cd playback normally, so I am using it only as “CD burn real world picky drive test unit” (and as PC speakers).

Michael

May be u think i need a sanity test ! i agree :smiley:

please correct me if i’m wrong.
After more reading and comparing BLER tests for Optiarc 7200A , Pioneer 115 and 215 now i think the best is Pioneer 215 :a
then Pioneer 115 and then with a very little different 7200A

But the DVD burning of 7200 is the best.

[QUOTE=bobzombie;2306725]May be u think i need a sanity test ! i agree :D[/quote]Hehe :bigsmile:

please correct me if i’m wrong.
After more reading and comparing BLER tests for Optiarc 7200A , Pioneer 115 and 215 now i think the best is Pioneer 215
then Pioneer 115 and then with a very little different 7200A
Scans from other users can always give only a coarse orientation. There is too much difference in media (even with the same MID), and manufacturing tolerance with the drives.
You were giving an example yourself:
The only difference between a Pioneer 115 and a 215 is the interface. Optics and mechanics as well as the chipset and core firmware are identical. So if you see significant differences, then these may be due to build quality or individual drive performance. Perhaps these 215 users did use the better brands for particular media.

This also applies to the scanning drives. Not all drives of the same model and firmware scan equal. Additionally, many users have their personal preferences about scan settings (some use max speed, others use 40x or 32x etc.).

But the DVD burning of 7200 is the best.
Now you know why many of us have half a dozen (or even more) of DVD writers :smiley:

Michael

[B]I’m sure most many pplz here know about A.M.Q.R , but i’m just writing for pplz like me, which don’t know.[/B]
So Best burner for Audio CD is a drive which support A.M.Q.R ( Audio Mastering Quality Record) Like some Plextor burners , or some of old Yamaha burners.
And i thought it’s not true that when a CD had burnt with A.M.Q.R , it sounds better , but after i bought a second hand Yamaha CRW-F1 , i tested it and [B]the A.M.Q.R burn CD sounds better[/B] but the difference is very little and i think u can HARDLY recognize it with high quality HiFi sound systems or good headphones.

Hi,

normally, there is no audible difference. But the disc may be playable in old, picky CD players, where discs burnt with other drives won’t play at all or with distortions.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2310647]Hi,

normally, there is no audible difference. But the disc may be playable in old, picky CD players, where discs burnt with other drives won’t play at all or with distortions.

Michael[/QUOTE]

My brain said that too , but after a lill search i found this:

[B]What is Jitter ?[/B]
and this:
[B]How does Jitter sound ?[/B]
And then from the 2’nd link:

[I]"

Since it is commonly believed, that audible differences between

CD & CD-R,
Ennemoser / C37 CDs,
“demagnetized” CDs or Bedini “ultra clarified” CDs,
principally everything that you can do to your CD,
different CD-transports,

are due to [B]reading errors, or different capabilities of the transport to extract the original audio data, we can now be sure, that this is not the case.[/B]

The reading of the CD is performed immaculately even by todays cheapest players (or at least by the cheapest Philips CD players).

[B][COLOR=“Red”]Audible differences in these cases are generated by jitter[/B].[/COLOR]

"[/I]

So if i’m right , the digital 0&1 can be read correctly from both records , but ,
better burned CD => less jitter => less jitter in D/A convertor of CD-player => better D/A conversion => better sound quality in output of CD-Player.

So the worse the CD-Player unit , the more audible difference between normal & A.M.Q.R burn.

Again referring to the 2’nd link:
"
[I]“Less jitter” sounds better, much better!

Auditioners testified:
      o improved ease of listening
      o increased clarity
      o improved high frequency response
      o better instrument separation
      o more information
      o better timing
      o better soundstage
      o improved overall audio performance[/I] 

"

Sorry for asking it into the audio discussion, but is it possible to crossflash the DRU-870S with the AD-7240S_1.03 firmware? [B]bobzombie[/B] has asked this before. I would like to know that too. Please resume the audio discussion asap so I don’t have to feel bad.