Best firmware for me?

vbimport

Hey everyone!
I just bought a NEC ND-3520a and I’m looking at changing the firmware on it.
Now I live in the middle of nowhere so i don’t usually get the best media. Right now i got this 8x TEAC DVD-Rs and i don’t know if they’re good or not…
THe point is will i see any improvement in speed with Liggy And Dee’s firmwares at all? If i do, how much time will i gain per DVD? Im really not sure if the couple minutes i might are worth the quality loss… even minimal. Im also not really sure how useful the extra features will be to me…
I mainly use the drive to backup my stuff…
What do you think?
I also am wondering if them checking the firmware version on the drive is standard prosedure in case of RMA or return. If it is, then it’s just another step towards official firmware for me…
I want to know your opinions because I’ve read every single related topic on this forum and off it and I’m still unsure…
Basically I am just checking if they always check the firmware on RMA’s drives and if it’s still worth getting the modified firmwares even if i don’t use such amazing media.
Thx in advance for helping to den00balize me,
David

If a faulty drive is RMA’d it will most certainly end up back at NEC and they will most certainly check the firmware version. If you flash with a modified firmware you give up the moral right to RMA the drive if something should go wrong.

Regarding time saved on burning media. That will depend on the media

8X approx 10 mins
12X under 7 mins
16X around 6 mins

Wait wait wait…
I have these 8x certified TEAC DVD-Rs here…
And burning one takes approximately 7 minutes at 8x.
Now you’re telling me it would save up 10 mins?
Im not following you i think…
Also, the saleswoman, who usually knows what she’s talking about assured me those DVD-Rs were over average quality… How can i check?
Overall, in your opinion Dee-27, do you think that if i’m using the TEAC media it’s worth using your firmware over the newest official one?

First you should use DVD Identifier to find out what media you really have and post the complete mediacode this program shows you.

And Dee is talking about how long it takes to write a complete dvd with the listed speeds, not the saved time.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:ProdiscF01]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [ProdiscF01]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

That’s what i got… what now :slight_smile:

:cop:

huh?

After you scanned the DVD, just click “More Info” - “VideoHelp.com” and see how your media is rated.

In your case:
Burn Reliability is Good
DVD Reliability is Mixed
PC Reliability is Good

And hope, that others who use the same media, share their experience with you. :wink: