Best firmware for LG GSA - 4163B

vbimport

whats the best firmware for this drive please
LG GSA - 4163B

and what tools do i need to detect what it is?

http://tdb.rpc1.org/

i am using the firmware there, but it hangs after a couple minutes in windows7x64…have i killed it?

With my own (sadly long gone) 4163B, I just grabbed the official A106 firmware, and loaded it into MCSE (MediaCodeSpeedEdit - link in a sticky at the top of the forum page) to increase the read speed.

These may sound like silly questions, but the update completed successfully, and there was no disc in the drive at the time, was there?

Do you have another PC you can hook the drive up to, to see if it acts the same?

Unfortunately, I’m an XP/Vista user, so don’t know if there are any additional precautions to take whilst flashing firmware in Win7.

well yeah i removed the disc prior to flashing, just in case…

I flashed it twice; both times it hung in windows7x64. I couldnt shut down the flasher, but i let the shutdown windows sequence go to the end. (took a while longer than usual)

After windows restarted, the bios looks to have been updated…A106 RC1 IN DVDInfo Pro

HOW CAN I FULLY TEST IF THIS DRIVE IS WORKING?

[QUOTE=chas2u;2522285]well yeah i removed the disc prior to flashing, just in case…

I flashed it twice; both times it hung in windows7x64. I couldnt shut down the flasher, but i let the shutdown windows sequence go to the end. (took a while longer than usual)

After windows restarted, the bios looks to have been updated…A106 RC1 IN DVDInfo Pro

HOW CAN I FULLY TEST IF THIS DRIVE IS WORKING?[/QUOTE]

OK - from what I can gather, the flasher itself hung, not the drive itself since the flash, seeing as you can still run DVDInfoPro etc.

Something similar happened to me, when I was crossflashing a Sony CD-RW drive, in an external enclosure - but in my case, I actually got an error message from the flasher once the flash had completed. Drive works perfectly to this day though, crossflashed and all. :slight_smile:

Have you tried actually burning a CD/DVD in the drive? If a burn completes and it has no problem reading burned or pressed CD/DVD media I’d say the drive is working. You also may like to check with something like Nero InfoTool (available as a standalone download if you don’t use Nero) - it should say RPC1 and/or for user changes left, “n/a” or similar.

When I asked about the possibility of a disc in the drive, it was just to cover all bases and possibilities :wink:

what would happen if i did have a disc in the drive at the time of flashing?? :stuck_out_tongue:

Wasnt this drive any good?

[QUOTE=chas2u;2522292]what would happen if i did have a disc in the drive at the time of flashing?? :stuck_out_tongue:

Wasnt this drive any good?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea, as I’ve never had a disc in the drive at the time ;)…but plenty advise against it, so it can’t be good.

The 4163B? It was an excellent drive, one of the best burners out at the time (and possibly the best one I’ve ever owned) :)…sadly mine got retired when I’d had it several years and burn quality started to deteriorate. :sad:

The problem might be the attempt of flashing the drive on a 64bit Windows 7 system.
I’d install the drive in a computer running XP or W2k and attempt flashing there.

Michael