Best Firewall Program

vbimport

I currently use XP own firewall does anybody know the best Personal Firewall to use?

I use and love Zone alarm , its free and very comprehensive…but then i havnt had much experience…it is one of the first i have tried, i have had no troubles AT ALL…and if a few of my script kiddie friends cant get past it, then thats fine with me :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

cheers

i use Black Ice at the moment. Sometimes i use Zonealarm next to it. I noticed that they both “see” different things.

Both programs are easy to install…install them and you do not have to do anything.

i have heard a lot of bad things about blackice.

another one i have heard that is meant to be good is Tinyfirewall.

or something like that.

anyone else using Agnitum’s Outpost firewall ??? I use the free version and it really acts exact how it is supposed to be. Believe me, i had the others too, from zonealarm to norton pers. firewall but this one beats them all ! Go http://www.agnitum.com/ and see for yourself :cool:

@tilanuz

Cheers for that m8, just checked out their site and I’m impressed with this one. Back to serpentuk’s original question, you can’t do worse than check out this page on the site tilanuz gave out:- http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/compare.html

It gives a full rundown and comparison between just about every firewall on the market. A nice touch on their site.

It could be a good idea to go here to test your firewall:
http://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
Also, check out their scoreboard:
http://grc.com/lt/scoreboard.htm

I use Tiny firewall, from www.tinysoftware.com
It is free, and works fine. What more can you ask for?:cool:
Zonealarm is also very good.

I have used quite a few of these and have to say that Zone Labs is pretty good, have also use Tiny, Nortons, Black Ice, Zone Labs Pro, Mcafee. I have also heard that the one tilanuz is talking about is meant to be pretty good. I have it downloaded but at the momnet not useing it. At the moment I’m useing Mcafee Firewall so far is doing okay but I wouldn’t recommand it as it does have a few troubles with stopping it’s self when ever it feels like.

As for testing firewalls there is also PC Flank They also have quite alot on test they have done and anything else about firewalls and AV scanners as well

www.grcsucks.com … explains why steve gibson sucks at his tools

i use www.smoothwall.org for my firewall.

I used for a long time black ice and from a few weeks now i use Kerio firewall its very easy to configurate kind of zonealarm you need to give permission to the programs you want to have internet acces and not.

It wont hurt to try the firewalls mentioned in the posts above to see wich one fits you the best.

Mr. Belvedere>>> You might want to check the link for the firewall that you are using as when I went to it it’ showed up as on of the silly searh things.

RDJ>>>> Kerio uses the same engine as Tiny not Zone Labs.

Mind you all the ones meationed here are good, unsure about the one from Mr.Belvedere, as I haven’t heard or seen it. At of all I have tryed I think Zone Labs would be one of the better ones. But try and see what is the best for you and your computer first

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
www.grcsucks.com … explains why steve gibson sucks at his tools

Heh, he fooled me with his tools. Well, I suppose that actually running a firewall is the most important ting? :smiley:

The firewall jaws must be the most secure one, but I will not count to much on that one either. :stuck_out_tongue:

(See in the living room if you do not know what I am talking about)

Originally posted by GhostBear
[B]Mr. Belvedere>>> You might want to check the link for the firewall that you are using as when I went to it it’ showed up as on of the silly searh things.

RDJ>>>> Kerio uses the same engine as Tiny not Zone Labs.

Mind you all the ones meationed here are good, unsure about the one from Mr.Belvedere, as I haven’t heard or seen it. At of all I have tryed I think Zone Labs would be one of the better ones. But try and see what is the best for you and your computer first [/B]

ah yeah … sorry

www.smoothwall.org

One of the best around is Sygate Personal firewall Pro 5…They also have a free version for personal use only.
www.sygate.com

LaZorMan

Of course , this is the ultimate firewall :slight_smile:

I use Agnitum’s Outpost firewall also. Seems to do the job well. I wanted a firewall without a lot of overhead so I originally tried Tiny. Unfortunately Tiny didn’t seem to do the ‘stealth’ thing on my ports. After a run at PC Flank (they rated Tiny poorly) I then went to Outpost with excellent results, any testing page I’ve been to always reports my ports as ‘stealthed’. It also blocked a backdoor trojan tying for an outbound connection, allowing me to remove it. No fancy reporting/back tracing, just solid protection. It also does ad blocking.

I prefer Atguard. Unfortunately Atguard doesn’t exists on it own anymore, if I am correct it is now part of Nortons security suite. The latest available Atguard version has only preliminary W2k support but it works fine with me! I like Atguard because it gives you a lot more control then for example ZoneAlarm. The downside of Atguard is that you to know something about protocols, ports, etc, so you know what you are doing while configuring Atguard.

:smiley:

thanks for all the advice

1. get a hardware router (that uses NAT technology) like this
  2. use a software firewall that monitors OUTGOING requests for internet access and PROMPTS YOU to permit or deny it. Norton Personal Firewall does this, as do others.

It’s double protection: it protects against intrusion & Sub7 (trojans etc.) trying to get out.

This maybe alittle off topic here but has anyone ever teasted to see how good the firewall with XP is at all?? I know that it is meant to be only a basic one at the least