Best file format for making backup copies of purchased Software CD/DVD's?

vbimport

Hello everyone,

I have looked into this exhaustively and do not have a definitive answer. I am making a hard disk copy of all my purchased software & keys. In cases with older, less used programs, I might throw away the discs and use the image as the copy. Also, having already accidentally damaged one Windows XP SP3 disk and having to PURCHASE a replacement at at cost of $30 or so has increased my interests in copy methods for CD/DVD’s.

Software titles include “Windows XP” “Windows Server 2008,” “Microsoft Office 2007,” “Adobe Photoshop” "TurboTax, “Windows 98” “Windows 7 Server” etc.

Do any of these titles have copy protection?

I know the operating systems need to be copied correctly or they will not boot or will fail to install properly.

From what I have read the .cue/bin or mds/mdf are closer to making a 1:1 copy of a disk?

Will an .iso file be an exact copy of the disc? Do I need and exact copy of these discs?

If an .iso is the best, most standard format, will a program like Alcohol 120% make a better .iso file than Nero? Is there a program that has it’s strength in making .iso files ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=Holarctic;2490238]

Software titles include “Windows XP” “Windows Server 2008,” “Microsoft Office 2007,” “Adobe Photoshop” "TurboTax, “Windows 98” “Windows 7 Server” etc.

Do any of these titles have copy protection? [/QUOTE]

Those don’t have copy protection that I can recall but they do have serial numbers of which you should make sure you don’t loose otherwise you will have to provide to M$ your proof of receipt to get a new serial number. As for turbo tax it has its own unique registration so if you make backup it will still be the same turbo tax. That I know cause I use it and it has no visible registration but I am guessing there a internal way for them to know since you have to do update to get it working. If you wanting to just back them up give imgburn which is free to backup those cd/dvd and see if they work.