BEST EXTERNAL DVD±R/RW burner!

vbimport

Please help I’m new with dvd burning, and have thought of buying a good external burner, so I can use it on my laptop too. I’m leaning towards the Plextor 716-uf but haven’t read any good strong reviews about it. If someone could offer some suggestions on what’s the best external burner, I would deeply apprecitate it, thanks! Feel free to offer ur opinions. Also whats a good combination. EX: Ritek discs with plextor burner, etc.

Someone please help if anybody has experience with external burners.

well i saw good results with Benq external drive 1621 and they are cheaper than Plextors also highly compatible and enable overspeed. Another solution for you is to buy an external rack where u can put a regular DVD rw either Nec , Benq or LG - they seem to be the best

Thanks for the reply, what exactly do you mean by an external rack.

There are threads about external enclosures. Racks, cases, enclosures usually mean the same thing.

Also consider GSA-5163D. I like its case more than GSA-4163B in it. :slight_smile:

this week the nec3500 (maddog megastore) external is 99 at some officemax b&M stores. FatWallet for a coupon and you might be able to get it cheaper than that… i missed the 39.99 internal NEC 3500 and now am fighting the urge on this one…must resist… wait for next model aggggggghgghg

Thanks! alot guys. I still don’t understand what you guys mean by external enclosures, can some paste a site of this information or paste a forum that talks in details about this. THanks!

Whats the best external enclosure combination with a dvd burner, or whats the best external enclosure.

http://www.mdmm.com/products/optical/MegaSTOR7in1-16DL.asp

An external enclosure , it is a small case where u can put a regular dvd rw, cd rw , hdd , etc and u connect it to the computer via Firewire or usb , thus functioning exactly like an external writer

For best compatibility u should check Benq , Nec , Lg etc forum for experieces with external enclosures

It’s like this.

What about LaCie drives ? LaCie has been making only external drives for years, so I would expect high quality ones. Besides CDFreaks.com has a review of one! Here. LaCie drives usually use FireWire/IEEE 1394 connections, which have a high speed transfer rate and sometimes reach MB/s rates higher than the 100% theoretically 133.3 IDE ones.

Or the Philips ED16DVDR! Here

Finally, I understand. So in your guys opinion whats the best combination, with price under 150.

are you for real??? i posted above the maddog 16x which is a nec 3500 with a 2 year warranty for 99 AR if you look on fatwallet chances are you can find a coupon for $25 more off that. but i repeat myself :a :rolleyes: :a :confused:

Maybe different dollars.

Sorry, cnlson, I just wanted to reassure myself. Guess m going with the maddogg after all, good price and like u guys explained very good. THanks! for all the help. :iagree:

here’s a link to a review of the Sony DRX-700UL exernal dual layer dual mode drive that was working great until i tried to update the firmware and failed that, now its a boat anchor, so i am looking for a replacement in of all places, nepal. does anyone know if i can put a liteon 16x in this box with any hopes of it working? the liton internal is the only dvd burner readily available here, like right now today. thanks!

here’s that link to the sony:
Sony DRX-700UL External Burner

hey, herojig, i’m from Nepal too, but i live in the states. That’s cool.

Just wondering is their two diff. kinds of MadDog multimeida MegaStor 7-in-1 16x DVD±R/RW burner. Take a look at these attached pictures.

Only USB 2.0.

Lite-On external 16x PC DVD burners also use only USB 2.0. So do external BTC burners. LG, IO DATA, Buffalo, HP, these mostly use 1394/USB combo boxes.