Best "external" burner via USB?

vbimport

my burner in my pc portable (an HP) is bad !!

pelase what is the best ???

externat and usb ? some say to me LG is correct ?
what model ?

Hello enry1

[QUOTE=enry1;2090660]my burner in my pc portable (an HP) is bad !!

pelase what is the best ???

[B]externat and usb ?[/B] some say to me LG is correct ?
what model ?[/QUOTE]

I’d recommend buying an internal burner and placing this burner in an external enclosure. The good point doing it this way is you can really pick the best burner out of a large list of internal burners and than you place this burner in the enclosure of your choice.

When you check my signature you see I have a large “collection” of external CD and DVD burners.

Currently I’d recommend the Samsung SH-S202N and the Pioneer DVR-115D. The results of both drives are really good. The Samsung SH-S203x models and the Poineer DVR-215x models should be also good drives. But this drives has a SATA interface and SATA enclosures for 5.25" devices are hard to find. Therefore I’d recommend looking for a IDE drive of your choice…

For me LG is a “no go”. That is my personal opinion. The reason is the product cycles of LG seems to be very short. The LG website is often not fast enough to list the new models available in the stores. It looks for me there is every day a new LG drive… but I may be wrong. I had only one LG drive and the firmware support was not very well (2 updates…)

Hope I could help a little…?

Hi,[quote=TM;2090667]I’d recommend buying an internal burner and placing this burner in an external enclosure. The good point doing it this way is you can really pick the best burner out of a large list of internal burners and than you place this burner in the enclosure of your choice.[/quote]The bad point is, there are some compatibility issues with IDE/USB bridge chips. My Pioneer 112 is crap with my Cypress AT2 enclosure. Other drives do fine, although they only support lower speeds then.
The other bad point is, you don’t know what chipset is used for a certain enclosure.
If the user wants “peace of mind”, then a readily configured drive from a drive manufacturer is the better option.

The Samsung SH-S203x models and the Poineer DVR-215x models should be also good drives. But this drives has a SATA interface and SATA enclosures for 5.25" devices are hard to find.
Samsung’s 204 drives are based on the 203x series if I remember correctly. :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2090670]The bad point is, there are some compatibility issues with IDE/USB bridge chips. […]
The other bad point is, you don’t know what chipset is used for a certain enclosure.
[/QUOTE]
You are right with the compatibility issue, that may happen. I have for my H51 cases 2 (or 3) different bridge board types. Therefore I do not have this problem. I never had the problem with the chipset type. Mapower and Macpower describes the used bridge chip in the specifications. I’d never buy a enclosure if the chipset is not specified. And if it is not specified I’d ask the support of the enclosure vendor for the details…

[QUOTE=mciahel;2090670]
If the user wants “peace of mind”, then a readily configured drive from a drive manufacturer is the better option.
Samsung’s 204 drives are based on the 203x series if I remember correctly. :wink:
[/QUOTE]

Are you sure the 204 is 203 based and not 202 based? The IDE-USB bridges are less expensive than the SATA-USB bridges, therefore I’m a little surprised since a more expensive bridge board reduces the profit. and since the 204 does not have a eSATA plug the possible higher speed of the SATA-eSATA connection won’t be used… but anyway I guess the Samsung SH-S204 should be a good choice.

Hi,[quote=TM;2090689]
Are you sure the 204 is 203 based and not 202 based?[/quote]Not a perfect proof, but an indication at least: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/just-got-ls-se-204n-231647/

Michael

Moved to CD & DVD Burners forum.

Product cycles of LG burners are short, yes :(…but on the upside, they’re very robust and tend to last a long time.

I’m still using my external GSA-E10N with not an ounce of trouble, in fact (along with my Samsung SH-S182D), it’s one of my most-used drives.

I may have been lucky going by the amount of firmware updates for newer drives, but since I got it, my E10N has had 3 updates. :slight_smile:

I agree with a Samsung external drive as another alternative, though :iagree:

now, i buy a external dvd burner unit yes or not ???

there are some problem ? the best is USB or firewire?
why?

help me…