Best encoder?

vbimport

hi lads
thinking of getting an encoder for shrinking 7 or 8g dvds to 4.7g .i do love dvd shrink but tmpgnec dvd author 3 looks good and dvd rebuilder with craft encoder.will the quaility be better on one of these or is dvd shrink just as good.
thanks for any info :flower:

DVD Shrink, and many other similar programs such as CloneDVD and DVDFab, are actually transcoders. For only light amounts of compression, I actually prefer transcoders as encoders such as CCE tend to very slightly soften the image in comparison (something like 80% or higher compression). But for heavier amounts of compression, a combination such as DVD Rebuilder + CCE or HCEnc (Hank’s Encoder) will do better, especially if you fine-tune the settings. CCE is excellent and fast but it’s not free, while HC Encoder is freeware and actually does a great job, but CCE is faster. The free version of DVD Rebuilder cannot use CCE or HC Encoder last I knew, though if you’d like to try HC Enc I’m pretty certain that there are other freeware programs that work as a frontend to make it easy to try it out on a DVD Video compression.

cheers scoobiedoobie dvd rebuilder pro looks the one .anybody using tmpgnec dvd author is it as good as dvd rebuilder pro?

[B]666twotone11:[/B]

I don’t know when [B]scoobiedoobie[/B] last checked but DVD Rebuilder free editions have supported all the freeware MPEG-2 encoders for a long time (they come included in the installer too), aswell as CCE plus other commercial encoders. Professional edition adds flexibility & other features like conversion to other formats (AVC/XviD) but is not neccessary for basic DVD use.

I had not checked the free version in probably a year or so, but for awhile the Pro version was required to use HC Enc or CCE.

For movies 2 hours or less DVD-RB looks the best. For movies over 2 hours and definitely for movies over 3 hours, this often includes movies with rated and unrated versions,
DVD-Shrink looks better to me.

[QUOTE=scoobiedoobie;1719467]CCE is excellent and fast but it’s not free, while HC Encoder is freeware and actually does a great job, but CCE is faster.[/QUOTE]

CCE is faster than HC on single core systems but on modern multi-core machines there’s actually not much in it speed wise.

I use CCE at the moment on my aging Athlon 64 system but when I upgrade I intend giving HC a go.

BTW even if you’re using CCE it’s recommended to use HC for the bitrate redistribution pass (just tick the option in the menu).

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=notoriousii;2414989]For movies 2 hours or less DVD-RB looks the best. For movies over 2 hours and definitely for movies over 3 hours, this often includes movies with rated and unrated versions,
DVD-Shrink looks better to me.[/QUOTE]

It doesn’t work like that though as it depends on the content of the film, how well the existing motion vectors have been done and how well the existing compression is optimised.

Or in other words you could have a long film with very few fast moving scenes, where the compression hasn’t been very well optimised and you’ll have good scope for further compression.

On the other hand you could have a relatively short action film with stacks of fast moving scenes, film grain, changing camera angles, fast moving pans etc, where the compression has already been very highly optimised and you’ve next to no scope for further compression.

So it depends on a number of factors as well as length.

I’ve even come across certain DVDs that are in my opinion unacceptable quality even when fully re-encoded.

This is very exceptional though and thankfully such discs are rare.

[B]Wombler[/B]