Best DVDrom Ripper... Help!

vbimport

Hey all, I’m being forced to do an emergency upgrade! My Old faithful Plex 40UW is starting to die! (Keeps shutting on and off randomnly, won’t access as fast, have to give it a little bang on the front bezel to keep it on etc…) So, I figured I just into DVD’s. I Need some advice on a really good DVDrom that rips well, since most websites aren’t up on the new, I’ll ask you guys, thanks!

Right now I’m considering: LiteOn 166s/HD, Pioneer 16x and Toshiba 16x… :confused:

I have had luck with toshiba and lite-on.

Lite-On/JLMS 166S will let you rip DVD at full speed straight out of the box for $34 @ Newegg.com.

With Toshiba SD-M1712 @ $39, you’ll have to find the hacked firmware and flash it before you can do full speed ripping.

And lets get the facts straight here, the only reason why people were saying Toshiba had quieter operation’s because it’s limited to 2x ripping. Shit, my Lite-On’s quiet too if I limited its rip speed to 2x. You’ll hear it screaming when it reaches 7x, no matter what drive you use. BTW, Pioneer DVD-ROMs are really really loud.

/me recommends Toshiba M1712 as well , great ripper.

I have heard that BTC drives rip surprisingly fast, in fact, I think my old 12x reader ripped at up to 11x or so, but I still cannot recommend this brand. I agree with all previous posts.

Personally I prefer the Toshiba drives over the LiteON DVD drives, as I’ve had several crappy discs that couldn’t be read by a LiteOn DVD drive, but worked fine (extremely slow, but still fine) on my Tosh… :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
Personally I prefer the Toshiba drives over the LiteON DVD drives, as I’ve had several crappy discs that couldn’t be read by a LiteOn DVD drive, but worked fine (extremely slow, but still fine) on my Tosh… :slight_smile:

About time you use the “better” firmware then :slight_smile:

I have to agree with Dee-ehn. My LiteOn also refuses to read some DVDs but they work well in other drives( Toshiba ) …

F.P.

Thanks for the replys folks… ARGH! I just got the newest LiteOn 166s XJ/HD… Hope it works nicely…

Of course it’ll work. You don’t see me complaining about my Lite-On optical drives like people here every damn day. I’ve backup a number of DVDs that’s scratched up pretty bad w/ the 166S and have had no problem at all ripping them @ full speed.

I’ll never lend out my movies again.