Best DVD±R(W) & CD-R(W)

Hi

I dont no much about burners, and im looking for a good DVD burner and a CDR burner to replce my ol ricoh. The main thing im looking for in the burners, is that they must be able to burn the newest (aswell as the old ones) protections with common software such a CloneCD and Alcohol, and especially with the DVD burners i need one that has good compatability with other DVD drives and players.

Any suggestions or links to benchmarks etc are appricated, btw price is no problem, and i live in Australia (i dont no if that will be a problem).

Cheers

I recently bought a sony 510 dvd/cdrw burner and have had really good results in all formats. the bundled software is also good for beginners so maybe give that one a try.

Hi there and welcome aboard :slight_smile:

For the time being, the LiteOn LDW-411S seems the best choice in DVD burners when it comes to copy protected discs. It hasn’t got the best media compatibility (and write quality though), but if you don’t care about using some more expensive discs, this drive should be the best for you.

If you consider media compatibility and write quality very important, you might want to consider a Pioneer 106/A06 writer. Although it can’t handle all the copy protections the LiteOn can handle (and it’s a little more expensive), it’s the drive with the best media compatibility and writing quality (even on very cheap media!).

Another option is the NEC1300a. It can’t handle all copy (but still quite some) protections and has a fairly good media compatibility (when using warranty voiding hacked firmwares) and it comes for a very good price.

If you really care about the copy protections, but you don’t want to put your bets on the 411S (because of the media compatibility), you might want to consider a 2-drive setup: a LiteOn 52x CDRW drive (any 52x, be it 6s or 7s will do) in combination with a Pioneer 106 seems to be the best set out there…