Best DVD Writer for Reitek G04?

vbimport

Hi there,
I have been using CloneDisk (Reitek G04) disks for a while with a pioneer A05 and although half of the discs i burned would only write at 2X speed and half the discs the wrote at 4X failed verification, I was very happy with the compatibility of the discs that i did manage to burn in standalone DVD players, but as my A05 is now dead I am looking for a new DVD writer that will write 100% of my G04 discs correctly at 4X speed without problems, which would be the best DVD writer to go for?

Moved to the hardware forum.
Any of the current crop of 8x burners will do nicely.

The Benq DW822A is DVD9 8.5GB upgradable. Its $101 shipped and precedsor the DW800A has gotten good reviews. It + and - and has bitsetting too.

http://www.bananapc.com/products/productInfo.aspx?category_id=1120&product_id=11955&searchString=dw822a&Op=2

Originally posted by Vanderlow
[B]The Benq DW822A is DVD9 8.5GB upgradable. Its $101 shipped and precedsor the DW800A has gotten good reviews. It + and - and has bitsetting too.

http://www.bananapc.com/products/productInfo.aspx?category_id=1120&product_id=11955&searchString=dw822a&Op=2 [/B]

Until we actually SEE one of these drives burning DVD9, I think I would hold off on saying that it is “upgradable”. Similar promises have been broken before by more than one drive maker.

Well i was very interested in the NEC ND-2500A but found a lot of posts saying it has compatibility issues with G04s and my pioneer A05 has serious issues so i dont think i really want a 106 or 107 unless someone knows different?

I would have to recommend the Pioneer A06. Me and my friend have burned many Ridata G04s and they all work perfect in Xbox’s and many different stand alone DVD players. Never had any problems at all :slight_smile:

C’Ya:eek:

Thanx very much AssTyme, has anyone else had 100% reliability with the A06 and G04s at 4X speed?

if it helps, I’ve burned g04s well in my 411 and while @811. However, check the nec forum as it seems that many people are reporting very positive results with the 2500 with the new hacked firmware with the bitsetting feature.

well ive decided to opt for the pioneer ?07 but whats the difference between:

Pioneer DVR-A07
Pioneer DVR-A07D
Pioneer DVR-107
Pioneer DVR-107D

ok ive found the answer
colour code and oem or retail

>>>Originally posted by Vanderlow
The Benq DW822A is DVD9 8.5GB upgradable. Its $101 shipped and precedsor the DW800A has gotten good reviews. It + and - and has bitsetting too.

http://www.bananapc.com/products/pr...dw822a&Op=2

Until we actually SEE one of these drives burning DVD9, I think I would hold off on saying that it is “upgradeable”. Similar promises have been broken before by more than one drive maker. >>>>>>

Why hold off? If you going to buy today, why not get one that actually at least claims to offer DVD9 where none of the other do? It has all the features: dual format, bitsetting and it’s great reader and very good burn analysis (it’s predecessor). It’s predecessor DW800A has gotten got reviews and burn analysis by cdrinfo and C’t.

P.S. I talked with Pre-sales BenQ rep and he said their fully functional dual layer burner (DW830A) will be out the 2nd wek in April.

Also the latest Anandtech article supports that refocusing the laser should be fairly simple.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=2010

I would also think if they didn’t make good on their firmware upgrade they would have to offer some kind of exchange program.

burn analysis by cdrinfo and C’t.

There may be some folks who don’t share your enthusiasm for “testing” done by those places. Nobody is saying the Benq isn’t a decent burner, although they certainly didn’t earn a good reputation with their CD burners. I’m just saying that maybe “upgradable to DL” is not a reason to buy it right now.

I had an Asus Cd burner and yeah it was the worst burner I ever had.

My Pioneer 106 and 107 burn Riteks fine. The 107 burns them at 8X no problem with NILs firmware and they playback fine on a few xboxs.

my 107 is now on order and will be arriving in a week :slight_smile:

thanx very much wicked1, i was wondering which was the best firmware, does that firmware allow you to burn at 6X speed?

I have th A06 and burn Ritek G04’s without any problems. They play on my Panasonic and my Digitrex (Proline) just fine.