Best DVD/RW slim/for laptop

vbimport

is there a clear winner for laptop drives? I was thinking something like the nec 6500 or something. ideally with silvery/purple bezel if possible

nec 6650 is a newer model
don’t if its out yet

I see no mention of the 6650 anywhere yet. is 24x cd writing the best a laptop combo drive will do?

Here’s a review for the 6500:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=11915

I had a Panasonic UJ-845 with a slot loader that had DVD-RAM. It worked quite well, but could not match the 10 minute burn time on the 6500 on TY media. I also had a 5500 which is a 4x NEC laptop drive that worked good as well. You could always paint the Bezel cause you are most like going to get it in black.

I don’t think there is a clear winner in slim DVD/RWs. Matsushita is good, but has its shortcomings (you can not make it region free in any way). Toshiba is slow, unreliable, but can be made region free. Pioneer is also good, quick, reliable and can be made region free. I don’t have any experience with NECs, unfortunately.

The NEC ND-6500a is a pretty good burner. It’s not fast; it’s 8-4-8 for DVD and 24-16-24 for CD, but the quality of its burns is very good. It won’t do bitsetting without hacked firmware, but this firmware is available and I’ve tried it and it works fine. It is also good at burning at slow speeds, something that faster burners often aren’t (I’m opportunistic about buying media and often buy slow media, 2.4x and 4x, if the price is really cheap).

Hi Alex Thyl, can you tell me where to get the region free firmware hack for Pioneer slim DVD/RW drive? I have a Pioneer K15.

I don’t think there is a clear winner in slim DVD/RWs. Matsushita is good, but has its shortcomings (you can not make it region free in any way). Toshiba is slow, unreliable, but can be made region free. Pioneer is also good, quick, reliable and can be made region free. I don’t have any experience with NECs, unfortunately.

I meant - in my post - making the drive region free with the most reliable method, i.e. using software like:

1. AnyDVD (www.slysoft.com) or
  2.      DVD Region+CSS Free (http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm).

Hi I guys I see you’re really knowledgeable on this subject, I got a sager laptop 5680 and had a TOshiba sd-r6112 crappy drive yeap… the one known for all it’s disgusting issues, I had it running with h2h patch with x231 firmware , and one day I decided to flash it with rpc1.org x031 after I flashed it with that firmware had trouble reading cd’s dvd’s and even burning… so I had no other option to decide myself and buy a replacement
I was going to choose pioneer DVR-K15 is that a good choice?
Something I don’t have quite clear is if I need some sort of special firmware configuration on drive to be recognized on my laptop’s bios ? Like firmware setted as master / slave or CSEL? is that true? if I buy a drive it won’t work straight through after plugging it ?
Thanks so much for your help guys .

Hi PauLek2. My Pioneer DVR-K15 worked well. I spent 5 minutes installing it: took out and switched the drive connector from the old drive to the new one. Then just plugged in to my laptop, simple as that. I have a Dell Inspiron 4150. The drive was recognized correctly. I can use Nero 6 or Roxio Creator 7.

Hi Kakai thanks so much for your answer, to my question , I’m really worried this drive will work on my laptop the actual drive i have on my laptop is a toshiba SD-R6112 , but I’m worried about the firmware on pioneer DVR-K15 , some people said it has to be a master firmware or slave.
So tell me , where did you buy it from , how much you paid for it? what’s the firmware revision on the drive? . And something else you just plugged it and it worked on it’s way? can you tell me if it’s working as master or slave? under xp.
Kakai please if you got msn messenger add me so I can ask you some more questions my msn it’s daaudiome@hotmail.com
thanks soo much once more… for your help.

Hi PauLek. Your hotmail account is not working. Anyway, answers to your questions:
(1) I don’t think the K15 firmware is set to master or slave. My firmware version is 1.06. However, in Nero Info tool, it does show K15 is master on secondary IDE channel in XP. More details at http://www.ultradrives.com Toshiba & Sony have drives set to Master or Slave if you are interested.
(2) I got the drive from http://www.gogocity.com for US$135 in March. It’s now $109

Go for the NEC 6500, very happy with it for $135 few months ago. You can get it at newegg.com for around $100 now.