Best DVD+RW Media?

vbimport

What is the best DVD+RW media available on the market that is rich in quality and is easily read by all DVD drives? I’m guessing a Verbatim DVD+RW, but I may be wrong. What do you think? Thank you very much for reading!

Regards,
Shadowz O Death

Unfortunately, there is no really good brand of DVD+RWs currently on the market. My 4x Verbatims (with MKM codes) worked poorly in my burner, with lots of PIFs and PIF MAX values even on the first burn - and only got worse on subsequent burns. Not surprisingly, the burned Verbatim 4x +RWs locked up my DVD players in the middle of playback, requiring a hard restart. (I cannot say anything about that brand’s 6x and 8x DVD+RW discs since I have never gotten a hand on any of those.)

Rewritable DVD media from RiTEK (whether a 2x DVD-RW disc with the RITEK W01 code or a 4x DVD+RW disc with the RICOHJPN W11 code), however, worked well on my units - and are still going strong after dozens of rewrites. (Keep in mind, however, that my particular RiTEK-made rewritable discs have the Sony brand name on them. Other RiTEK-made rewritable discs may or may not perform as well.)

What is the name of your DVD drive? Mine is [I]TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652M ATA Device[/I]. Does anyone else have that DVD drive or anything similar?

Verbatim 6x -RW is often reckoned to be the best and I’ve been pleased with mine.

Also I’ve used Ricoh 8x +RW which are equally good.

I couldn’t seem to find a Verbatim DVD[B]+[/B]RW, but I did find a DVD[B]-[/B]RW.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&N=200691+400119&product_code=50280725&Pn=2x_DVD_RW_Media
If anyone else has a [I]TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652M ATA Device[/I] DVD burner and knows any better blank DVD±RW media, please reply before I buy this product.

Regards,
Shadowz O Death

These 2x DVD-RW are actually very slow, so you might not like it :wink:

I would recommend Verbatim 8x DVD+RW, Ricoh 8x DVD+RW or Verbatim 6x DVD-RW instead. Your 18x burner is perfectly capable of writing to these.

Verbatim 8x DVD+RW would be my pick. For -RW, again Verbatim 6x as Evilboy suggests.

Haven’t tried the Ricoh, but after what Tim and Drage have said, I’ll have to try some. :slight_smile:

I have had the best results by far with HP branded 4x DVD+RW media (Philips media code).

In fact I’ve used Verbatim 4x, 8x, and several different brands of Ricoh manufactured discs (W11?). The Verbatims performed near-horribly, especially the 4x ones, while the Ricoh discs performed acceptably.

Here’s a scan of one of the HP discs:

Any hints where I can buy? About all I can find for 8x DVD+RW online
are 5 packs of Memorex priced as high as 25 packs of Ritek! I don’t
see anything faster than 4x at any of the brick and morter stores.
Plus I can’t find Verbatim or Ricoh at any price on US sites.
Would you share your sources? :bow:

I hate to spring for 8x DVD+RW if they’re not going to burn at 8x. :slight_smile:
(My burner is TSST H653L and seems to like all things Verbatim)

This is the fault of the B&Ms.
Give them the reorder number of the Verbies and they’ll be glad to order it for you. If they refuse, then they don’t deserve your money.

Plus Tim’s sources may not help since he’s UK based, and Kewlbreez is in the US :slight_smile:

Hmmmmmm I shoulda’ thoughta’ that!! Good idea. :iagree: