Best DVD RW media

vbimport

I wish to use rotating DVD RW media to backup my notebook. I am using Norton Ghost 2003. The optical drive is:

Pioneer DVR-K16 Slim-line Internal DVD/CD Writer
Write Speed:
DVD - RW 6x, 4x, 2x, 1x
DVD + RW 8x, 2.4x

I may also use them to make temporary video DVDs.

Any suggestions on the best media to use, + or -, and speed? (Using Ghost I have no control over the write speed that I am aware of.) I am thinking of using Verbatim -RW 4X.

Thanks much.

Verbatim RW should be good. :slight_smile:
As you have a slim burner I’m not sure whether 6x DVD-RW or 8x DVD+RW would be a good idea. But you could try your luck with it. :slight_smile:

Verbatim 6x DVD-RW and 4x DVD-RW are very good.

Ricoh 8x DVD+RW, Ricoh 4x DVD+RW and Verbatim 4x DVD+RW are also very good.

Verbatim 4X ±RW is good an enough for you. My slim dvd burner wrote discs in a Z-CLV(2X-4X-6X-8X), 8X is only 3 minutes(13min) faster than 4X Z-CLV(2X-4X).

I like to use half-height dvd burner. :wink:

I ended up ordering 2 10/PKs of Verbatim CD-RW, 700MB, 80 Minutes, 4X-12X High Speed media. Since the maximum DVD-RW write speed is 6x for this drive, I imagine they will record at 6X.

Thanks for all the help. :clap:

So you didn’t want to use DVD media after all? :confused:

Since the maximum DVD-RW write speed is 6x for this drive, I imagine they will record at 6X.
No, it will most likely burn your High-Speed CD-RW media at 10x which is the standard speed for such media (12x is technically speaking “overspeeding” so few drives do that).

Thanks for pointing this out. I ordered the wrong media. I missed that it was CD and not DVD. I want to use DVD, not CD. Right now I can do an image file BU on 2 DVDs. I do not want to go through a bunch of CDs. I did a search at Amazon for “Verbatim DVD-RW” and this was one of the options.

I am frustrated at this point. Any suggestion on exactly where to buy the best RW DVDs for this purpose?

I see Rima has:

Verbatim DVD-RW 4.7GB, 4X, Branded, 10-Pack (94836)
Code: 1874
Price: $14.00

Is this the way to go?

I prefer DVD+RW over DVD-RW for rotating backups because the + format is better for multi-session burns (burning some files and later adding more files).

If yo’re going to use those discs for multi-session backups, then I’d suggest buying the Verbatim 4x DVD+RW discs from Rima instead at $22 for a 30-pack.

If you’re only going to use your discs for single-session burns, then the DVD-RW discs will do just fine.

These are the drive specifications from Pioneer that I posted at the top of the thread:

Pioneer DVR-K16 Slim-line Internal DVD/CD Writer
Write Speed:
DVD - RW 6x, 4x, 2x, 1x
DVD + RW 8x, 2.4x

Pioneer DVR-K16 drive specs

It looks like I need to go with -RW 4x unless there is a good source of +RW 8x. Is there?

RIMA has these:

RIMA DVD+RW 8x

The DVD+RW specification for your drive on that page isn’t correct and it doesn’t make sense to support 8x DVD+RW media and not 4x DVD+RW media.

If you look at the Product Brochure [PDF] at the same site, you will see that the drive supports 2.4x , 4x and 8x DVD+RW media!

The only 8x DVD+RW I can recommend are Ricoh 8x DVD+RW (RICOHJPN W21). The new Verbatim 8x DVD+RW could also be good but I haven’t tried them.

RiTEK 8x DVD+RW (RITEK 008) are not widely supported nor that impressive IMO. The RiData discs are most probably RiTEK so I wouldn’t buy them personally.

The PDF is confusing:

[B]“MAIN FEATURES OF THE PIONEER DVR-K16
• 8X8 Writing Speed on DVD±R/RW, 24X on CD-R/RW and now 5X on DVD-RAM
• Supports DVD-R (Ver 2.0, General), 4X DVD-R, 8X DVD-R, DVD-RW (Ver 1.0, Ver 1.1, & Ver 1.2), 2X DVD-RW, 4X DVD-RW, 6X DVD-RW, DVD+R, 4X DVD+R, 8X DVD+R, DVD+RW, 4X DVD+RW, 8X DVD+RW, DVD-R (DL), DVD+R (DL), CD-R, Ultra-Speed CD-RW, Ultra-Speed + CD-RW, Multi-Speed CD-RW, High-Speed CR-RW”[/B]

At the first bullet it says “8X8 Writing Speed on DVD±R/RW”.
The second bullet says “Supports … 2X DVD-RW, 4X DVD-RW, 6X DVD-RW”.

Since these will be written multiple times as rotating backups with Norton Ghost 2003, it might be best to not push the speed and just go with the Verbatim DVD-RW 4x from Rima.

Any thoughts are very welcome. :confused:

Norton Ghost 2003 doesn’t use multi-sessions, so DVD-RW and DVD+RW should in theory work equally well.

I have used DVD+RW for that purpose myself, but I find that I get less chance of something going wrong during the backup if I use recordable (not re-writable) media, so I tend to use that now. I don’t make a full system backup to DVD media that often, however, preferring instead to make daily “checkpoints” to harddisk with RestoreIT, weekly data backups to different media (DVD+RW, DVD-RAM and harddisk) and only make system images with Ghost or PQ Drive Image once in a while.

I dont use Ghost (Acronis) so this might not apply, but I just do the ‘image’ to the hard drive and then just burn as data.

I also always do a full image as with Acronis you can go in to it and pull any file back out, and I have just had far less problems than with all of the other settings (inc and diff). You can also just format and start again if the need ever arises.

The best media is probably DVD-RAM rather than DVD +/- RW. I don’t know if your drive supports it.

I have been using Tevion branded +RW (Aldi supermarket) for my weekly backups. Almost two years on, all of them are still readable. Good quality +R is supposed to be good for around 1000 writes.

E.S.

rw’s are not known for long term stability.

i’d say use dvd+r verbs or just ghost your image to an external hd.

Is Samsung Pleomax 4x +RW any good?

How about Sony 4x +RW?

I ask because both are easy to find at my local stores.

I’d go for Verbatim +RW, or Drage also mentions Ricoh above.

I’ve got some pretty good quality scans from the 8x Verb +RW.

Edit: I think if I had to choose between the Sony and the Samsung though, I’d go for the Sony. But ideally, I’d go for the two suggestions I mentioned already. :wink:

Sony 4x DVD+RW is either RICOHJPN W11 or SONY S11.
Good media, but not overwhelming. I had some MIT SONY S11 degrading at the edge. :frowning:

I got PHILIPS 041 under Sony aswell.