Best DVD-RW drive for 2011

vbimport

Here at MyCE we have always been keen to include content suggested by the members and threads of this type have always been popular in the past.

We’ve had a number of requests recently asking to reinstate these polls and we are more than happy to oblige.

As well as recording current opinions, they’re also a useful starting point for potential purchases.

So back by popular demand are the MyCE Optical Drive surveys!

There are two new polls one for DVD writers and one for Blu-Ray.

This is your chance to tell us what you think and vote for the drives you regard as the best.

So help keep the rest of the community informed here at MyCE and express your opinions.

Good to see this back again vroom!

I’ve kind of lost touch with this myself so it will be interesting to see what everyone chooses. :iagree:

Nothing beats a survey of real users. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2601811]Good to see this back again vroom!

I’ve kind of lost touch with this myself so it will be interesting to see what everyone chooses. :iagree:

Nothing beats a survey of real users. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Yo-

I agree 110% :bow:

The Samsungs have my vote ( not Blu-ray). :wink:

Optiarc 7240 is nothing special. Without a doubt the Sammy 243N is best.

I’m so out of touch. I just bought a used Optiarc AD-7200S on eBay for $11. I’m afraid for me, the old drives are better.

However, I will admit that the SH-S243N is also a good drive, but I haven’t used mine as much because I remember having an issue doing strat swaps for slower RICOHJPN R01 media. I’ll have to re-investigate that and maybe put it back into use.

[QUOTE=negritude;2601857]I’m so out of touch. I just bought a used Optiarc AD-7200S on eBay for $11. I’m afraid for me, the old drives are better.

However, I will admit that the SH-S243N is also a good drive, but I haven’t used mine as much because I remember having an issue doing strat swaps for slower RICOHJPN R01 media. I’ll have to re-investigate that and maybe put it back into use.[/QUOTE]
The 7200S is one of my favorites of any year.

I’m still using the AD-7201S for all my burns. Excellent writing quality.

Looking at some scans, the AD-7280S series seems to be quite good too.

The 7200S was a firm favourite of mine as well, unfortunately mine broke and was replaced by a AD-7240S which I don’t feel is as good.
It fits my needs as I don’t burn much media these days.

One more poll for BD drives.

Glad you brought out a poll but there are really three different types of burner enclosures

1.) Internal (for desktops)
2.) External (plug and play)
3.) Internal made External (kit with your choice of aftermarket enclosure)

I’m really looking for plug & play since I use primarily use laptops and I don’t feel like building one. My PX-708UF died after almost 7 good years of burning. What an awesome drive!

Any suggestions for plug & play?

@b8375629
If you can get the LiteON eHBU212, it’s a USB3 BD drive and for me this drive now has everything that you can get, if you can afford to buy it.

There are also other external drives that are much cheaper, but all this depends on what you want to do with your drive.

Thanks for the tip although I’m in the U.S. and that link points to another link located at LiteON’s european website. There is an American unit with the same model number located here http://us.liteonodd.com/us/bd-external/item/bdexternal/ehbu212 but it looks different from the one you pointed to. Is it the same one?

I don’t have USB3 yet so I would also hope it would be backwards compatible to USB2

[I]it’s a USB3 BD drive and for me this drive now has everything that you can get, if you can afford to buy it.[/I]
If it’s THAT good then I’ll be willing to spend more. How much did you pay?

I’ve actually turned into a Hard Drive Hoarder so I probably shouldn’t even have voted, but I chose the two drives I have so I voted for them.

[QUOTE=b8375629;2616171]Thanks for the tip although I’m in the U.S. and that link points to another link located at LiteON’s european website. There is an American unit with the same model number located here http://us.liteonodd.com/us/bd-external/item/bdexternal/ehbu212 but it looks different from the one you pointed to. Is it the same one?

I don’t have USB3 yet so I would also hope it would be backwards compatible to USB2

If it’s THAT good then I’ll be willing to spend more. How much did you pay?[/QUOTE]

I got the drive as a review sample, so i dont know what the price is, i can tell you that USB3 is backward compatible with USB2.
You can always get USB2 external DVD-RW if you dont have any plans for BD, or you dont want to spend more money. There are some good drives from Samsung, LG that dont cost very much (well at least the dont cost much where i live, Greece).

[QUOTE=vroom;2616193]You can always get USB2 external DVD-RW if you dont have any plans for BD, or you dont want to spend more money.[/QUOTE]I’m not terribly worried about price. I know what I’m willing to spend so that’s not really a consideration. I don’t need BD so that feature wouldn’t do me any good.

[I]There are some good drives from Samsung, LG that dont cost very much (well at least the dont cost much where i live, Greece).[/I]
Such as? I don’t want USB powered. And if there’s another Lite-on drive you could recommend, I’d sure appreciate it.

The Samsung SE-S224Q or the Lite-On eHAU424 and i am sure that there should be at least one LG drive, but i cant find it.
If you dont need a BD drive, i would suggest that you stay with the DVD-RW, it will save you a lot of money.

You can always get a standalone LiteOn DVD/CD burner and install in an external SATA/USB enclosure or external IDE/USB enclsure. If you ever move to internal, you can just take the burner out and put it in.

I’ve seen LiteOn eHAU424 at local Wal-Marts and HP DVD1270VE as well, which is a LiteOn clone.

[QUOTE=KTL;2616318]I’ve seen LiteOn eHAU424 at local Wal-Marts and HP DVD1270VE as well, which is a LiteOn clone.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered one of those so we’ll see how it works out.

:slight_smile:

Hello guys,
I have to choose between the following models available locally, which one should I choose based on the quality of writes with Verbatim Media:

Liteon iHAS324-32B
ASUS DRW-24B5ST SATA 24x
Sony DRU-880S Dust Proof 24x
Sony AD-7280S
Lite-on iHAS124 24X
HP dvd1260i
Samsung SH-S223C
LG GH24NS70
LG GH22NS50

Thanks in advance.