Best DVD Rom Drive?

What’s the BEST dvd-rom drive to purchase for backing up DVD’s using ANYDVD/CLONEDVD Combo? What’s the Drive that everyone uses?

is it a Lite-on? those seem to be popular?

I currently have a Matshita DSR-8586

Sometimes i get read errors w/ DVD’s when i try and rip w/ this drive. but then i’ll use my NEC 1300A burner to rip the DVD and it works fine.

Help a n00b out! :smiley:

For reading DVD movies, all you need is a DVD rom with good reading capabilities. Nowadays the most popular devices are those from LiteOn and Toshiba.

Are there any other aspects you care about? Such as DAE quality, or the possibility to scan media for errors?

Not really, just wondering if there was a “better” or “best” drive to get. What kind do you have?

I have 1 of each, a lite-on and a toshiba. The lite-on is somewhat more tolerable of scratchy surfaces and copies on crappy dye media and the toshi is a bit pickier.

I have 2 Toshiba’s and had one LiteOn. The LiteOn malfunctioned last year , so i’m staying with Toshiba.

Plus , you can make Toshiba’s Limitless :bigsmile:

Toshiba no limit really works? the guy’s story sounds a little hokey.

What model Toshiba DVD Drive do you have?

Originally posted by adamdaviddoyle
[B]Toshiba no limit really works? the guy’s story sounds a little hokey.

What model Toshiba DVD Drive do you have? [/B]

M1502 (can’t be bought anymore, rips about 4 speed) and M1712 (10 speed ripping !)

Final annoying question

which one of these would you buy?

Click!

Can anyone tell me if the Lite-On DVDROMs cache audio according to EAC?

What about the Toshibas?

I’m looking for a new DVD-ROM and audio extraction would be high on my list of important things.

Thanks very much

The Toshiba’s are very good when it comes to DAE. I read quite some heavily damaged discs with the drive, resulting in a crack-free wave file…
I really can’t tell you what features of EAC are supported by the drive (but I can check it tomorrow if you want me to).

@Belvedere: only 10x ripping speed? Mine does up to 15.5x according to DVD Decrypter (from pressed DVD media btw)…

Thanks Dee-ehn, I appreciate the info. I was about ready to order a Lite on, but now I’m not sure. More thinking to do.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
@Belvedere: only 10x ripping speed? Mine does up to 15.5x according to DVD Decrypter (from pressed DVD media btw)…

Slow harddisk :bigsmile: