Best DVD-ROM currently for audio extraction?

Hello. I’m planning on upgrading both my outdated CD and DVD-ROM. Mainly, what I’m looking in a new DVD-ROM is superb audio extraction. Are there any models currently considered the best for this task? I’ve also heard that CD-ROMs themselves are considered rather obsolete in comparison to DVD-ROMs for audio extraction now, but I don’t quite know, yet.

Thanks!

Almost forgot. I’ve recently heard about the Plextor Premium’s incredible reputation for extracting audio CDs. I am curious as to whether or not it’s true and if any variations of models exists. If they do, which one of them might be the best?

I bought another Plextor Premium on ebay for $45. CD burners are generally better for doing CD’s. I use Premium’s in all three of my PC’s.

Hi,

This might apply for your Plextors. Most other CD writers are worse than many DVD writers, especially jitter-wise.
Also, DVD writers are often better DAE drives :slight_smile:

Michael

I’m currently considering the following:

[B]Lite-On[/B]

LITE-ON (IDE Model) DH-52C2P-08 - Retail

or

LITE-ON (IDE Model) DH-52C2P-04 - OEM

I also see SATA versions

LITE-ON (SATA Model) DH-52C2S-04 - OEM

or this one.

LITE-ON (SATA Model) SHC-52S7K-05 OEM

If I purchased either of the SATA interface drives, I’d probably use it in conjunction with either the Promise TX2 or TX4, since I only have PCI.

[B]LG[/B]

LG (IDE Model) GCC-H23NK - OEM

If anyone would recommend the drives I’ve listed, or other DVD-ROM drives, then I’d be willing to listen. Remember, DAE is of prime importance to me. :cool:

Hi,

These are all combo drives. Why not get a DVD writer, since these aren’t much more expensive? Just as comparision:
DH-52C2P OEM: USD 20,99
Samsung SH-S202G OEM: 30,99 (prices from Newegg)
I prefer my Samsung DVD writers over my Liteon drives, not only with reading, but also in writing. The Samsungs are much better CD writers.

If I purchased either of the SATA interface drives, I’d probably use it in conjunction with either the Promise TX2 or TX4, since I only have PCI.
It depends on the exact model of your Promise controller. Some do work with ODD, some don’t. It also depends on the drive. For opticals, Silicon Image (312/314) based add-on-cards are better (they have to be changed from RAID to non-RAID BIOS).

Michael

Thanks. I’m also planning on purchasing the Samsung HD501LJ Hard Drive , and according to one of their products, the PCI/PCI-X to 4 port SATA-300 should support both the Samsung HD501LJ’s SATA-300 interface, and the Samsung 20X’s SATA counterpart of the Samsung SH-S202G (PATA Model)

Though, is the reason why you preferred the PATA model is because of DAE being inferior in SATA cables? :confused:

Any input on the products I’d be using, too?

Hi,

No. Interface doesn’t affect DAE at all (unless there are driver/controller issues). I just chose them for the price comparision since your existing system is PATA-only at the moment.

Any input on the products I’d be using, too?
I am not sure if connecting a SATA HDD and a SATA ODD both to a PCI controller will influence the performance in a negative way. Maybe a PATA HDD instead?

Michael

All right. I don’t think a SATA ODD and HDD should conflict on a PCI, but I’ll look into it a bit more.

I suppose the only question I have left is the SATA 300 cables themselves. Would you happen to know any reliable brands that are…

[ul]
[li]Backwards compatible with SATA 150
[/li][li]Switchable (Can be switched from right-angle, left-angle or straight, etc.)
[/li][/ul]

And if it does make a difference, do shorter cables reduce the likelihood of an error, since the distance for the data is shorter? I’ve heard that when IDE cables are involved, anything above the standard 18" amplifys the risk. Just wondering if that can be applicable to SATA 300 cables, too. Lastly, do round cables permit better airflow at all?

If you don’t know, then would you happen to know someone who does, or a website?

Hi,

I don’t know, that’s why I am sceptical at first.

Would you happen to know any reliable brands that are…

[ul]
[li]Backwards compatible with SATA 150
[/li]> [li]Switchable (Can be switched from right-angle, left-angle or straight, etc.)
[/li]> [/ul]
I think, all cables are backward compatible.
About the switchables, I didn’t know that such exists. This feature will make the cables much more expensive, so I would get cables with the orientation that is needed. Much cheaper and less affected to defects.
For my only SATA drive, I am using the cable that came with my motherboard, so I can’t recommend any brand (most are generic anyway).

And if it does make a difference, do shorter cables reduce the likelihood of an error, since the distance for the data is shorter? I’ve heard that when IDE cables are involved, anything above the standard 18" amplifys the risk.
For IDE cables, 18" was defined in the standards. Longer (and shorter also) is beyond the specs. There is some good information in the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA#Cables_and_connectors

Lastly, do round cables permit better airflow at all?
For SATA cables? :disagree:

Michael