Best DVD-R Media for Archival?

vbimport

I have a 750 GB hard drive that is almost full. Almost 70% of the drive’s space is occupied by my lossless music collection, and I’m thinking about backing up all those FLAC albums to DVD Media. It’s a known fact that reliability of hard disks diminishes with size so I’m just trying to be prepared in case the drive decides to quit on me. Other than “Gold” media, what’s a good reliable media for backup? I only use Verbatim and Sony media, and my Burner is a Samsung SH-S203B. In the past I used Taiyo Yuden media, but became disappointed when they went 16X. Quality wasn’t the same.

The most important thing for selecting archival media is, that you should not put all your eggs in one basket.

Archive (backup) your stuff to at least two different types of media. This could be two different brands/manufacurers of DVDs, or it could be DVDs and harddrives, or DVDs and tape, or…

I would choose two different types of DVDs for archival from a list of DVD media known to be stable. Some available candidates are in no particular order:

Verbatim 16x DVD+R (MCC004)
Verbatim 16x DVD-R (MCC03RG20)
Verbatim 8x DVD-R (MCC02RG20) - e.g. MediDisc, Archival Grade, Hard Coat Protection
Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R (TYG03) - available under several brands
Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T03)
Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T02)
Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R (TYG02)
Sony 16x DVD+R (SONY D21)
Sony 16x DVD-R (SONY16D1)
HP 16x DVD-R (CMC MAG. AM3)
Maxell Extreme Protek 16x DVD+R (MAXELL 003) - In Europe (available from e.g. SVP)
Maxell Extreme Protek 16x DVD-R (MXL RG04) - In Europe (available from e.g. SVP)
Maxell Broadcast Quality 16x DVD+R (MAXELL 003) - In North America (hard to find)
Maxell Broadcast Quality 16x DVD-R (MXL RG04) - In North America (hard to find)

I would add an Emtec Gold DVD+R (made by MPO France, MPOMEDIA-080-000).

Thanks you all. I know what you mean by not putting all my eggs in one basket. I was also considering getting another Hard Disk for redundancy, but it’s still a hard disk. That’s why I wanted another type of backup. I’ve spent so many hours ripping and cataloging music making sure it’s perfect for archival that I don’t want to do it all again if my hard disk bites the dust.

Verbatim 16x DVD+R (MCC004)

&

those are pretty safe bets… if money is no object… burn 2 copies (1 on Verbatim and 1 on Taiyo Yuden) onto those types of media and keep another copy on another hard drive besides the main 750GB your using.

doing that will make losing those files pretty close to impossible :wink:

[QUOTE=NBR;2171495]Verbatim 16x DVD+R (MCC004)

&

those are pretty safe bets… if money is no object… burn 2 copies (1 on Verbatim and 1 on Taiyo Yuden) onto those types of media and keep another copy on another hard drive besides the main 750GB your using.

doing that will make losing those files pretty close to impossible ;)[/QUOTE]

:iagree: The next step to this is getting DLT or any other magnetic tape backup method, as long as the storage is also well thought out. :wink:

I think making two backup copies of everything onto a couple brands of disc would be a very safe bet.

Verbatim 8x -R are very good archival discs (they are also sold as Verbatim Archival Grade, which have a scratch proof surface and some other features).

Taiyo Yuden T02 8x +R are excellent discs but hard to find.

Verbatim MCC004 are generally very good discs and come under the Verbatim 16x +R brand.

I’d be looking at those options. Verbatim are probably the easiest to find whilst also having good quality.

It is also a good idea to store one copy somewhere else (“off site backup”) in case of fire or other calamity. Of course, picking a good location for the other backup is important. I heard rumours after 9/11 that some company in one of the WTC towers kept their off-site backups in the other tower…

[QUOTE=hermes_vb;2169567] It’s a known fact that reliability of hard disks diminishes with size[/QUOTE] uhm… huh? More platters + their associated R/W heads probably has some effect but higher density platters shouldn’t automagically be less reliable. There are MANY factors that decide how likely it is that a given disk will fail after a given time, and how it will fail, but I would be surprised if the capacity has much to do with it.

[QUOTE=Aramchek;2171767]uhm… huh? More platters + their associated R/W heads probably has some effect but higher density platters shouldn’t automagically be less reliable. There are MANY factors that decide how likely it is that a given disk will fail after a given time, and how it will fail, but I would be surprised if the capacity has much to do with it.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if bigger/newer/denser hard drives are less reliable, but I do know the risk of losing a lot more data is a lot higher since you could easily lose in just one drive what would fit in 5 a few years ago. :stuck_out_tongue: