Best DVD+R DL reader + writer

vbimport

Long time, no see. :stuck_out_tongue:

Have built a new PC and chose a liteon 24X writer assuming all modern writers would be good with DVD+R DL (how old is it now?) and have got an iHAS 124 C which I have patched to LL0G firmware. It is crap at reading DVD+R DL though, even refusing to read one completely that my old drive doesn’t have a problem with, and if its quality scans are even slightly accurate it is rubbish at writing too. (I think my old drive was an NEC optiarc 7201.)

What burners in production at the moment are the best for reading and writing DL media - I have quite a bit of cheap media to read but from now on can probably afford to stick to Verbatim for new writes.

I found quite a few old topics on this but if I have missed a recent one I apologise.

If you cannot afford cheap Verbatim DL media at this time you shouldnt stay with DVD±DL at all, IMO.

Maybe you weren’t a student in 2007 :P.

For future discs I will but I still want to be able to read my old ones. I might just swap the drives over.

I’m a little surprised that the Lite-on isn’t reading them well, as Lite-on drives are generally pretty good at this. Their overall rep for burning DL media has never been that good, though I’m sure there have been exceptions.

If your old drive is in good working condition, and is actually an Optiarc 7201, you might not need anything else.

The Optiarc 7200A and 7200S are regarded as two of the best overall drives made. They compare favorably with darn near anything else. I don’t remember much about the 7201 though.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2659379]I’m a little surprised that the Lite-on isn’t reading them well, as Lite-on drives are generally pretty good at this. Their overall rep for burning DL media has never been that good, though I’m sure there have been exceptions.

If your old drive is in good working condition, and is actually an Optiarc 7201, you might not need anything else.

The Optiarc 7200A and 7200S are regarded as two of the best overall drives made. They compare favorably with darn near anything else. I don’t remember much about the 7201 though.[/QUOTE]

is The Optiarc 7200A and 7200S is best BUY for ripping music from original cd’s ?

[QUOTE=S0nic;2659413]is The Optiarc 7200A and 7200S is best BUY for ripping music from original cd’s ?[/QUOTE]

Ripping cds is something that most any drive can do. But the [B]best [/B]cd rippers? Not something I can answer. I understand many still like the ancient Plextor Premium cd drives for this. Personally, I use my Samsung SH-S203B dvd drive with no issues on those very rare occasions I’ve had to rip cds.

The Optiarc 7200 series were mostly known for their excellent burns to both single and double layer dvds.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2659416]Ripping cds is something that most any drive can do. But the [B]best [/B]cd rippers? Not something I can answer. I understand many still like the ancient Plextor Premium cd drives for this. Personally, I use my Samsung SH-S203B dvd drive with no issues on those very rare occasions I’ve had to rip cds.

The Optiarc 7200 series were mostly known for their excellent burns to both single and double layer dvds.[/QUOTE]

thanks for try to help i have old LG’s 4-5 years and they are finished i think, making lots of errors , now i try to find something better , don’t care about dvd only care for CD ripping … Plextor Premium 300$ it’s really too much i know it is good but it’s too much for me

[QUOTE=S0nic;2659420]thenks for try to help i have ol LG’s 4-5 years and they are finished i think, making lots of errors , now i try to find something better , don’t care about dvd only care for CD ripping … Plextor Premium 300$ it’s really too much i know it is good but it’s too much for me[/QUOTE]
You will find another answer in the other thread you asked in. Please avoid asking the same question in two places, it gets too confusing and is against our policies here.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2659423]You will find another answer[B] in the other thread you asked in[/B]. Please avoid asking the same question in two places, it gets too confusing and is against our policies here.[/QUOTE]

If it only were one…lets see all the subforums with the exact same question posts made…