Best DVD+R DL Burner and Enclosure

I am looking to buy a new DVD burner mainly for making Xbox 360 backups (legal ones that I own the originals).

I currently use the latest Macbook Pro (bought in Jan '09) and had used the burner and Verbatims with 100% success. I then got my hands on Memorex DL discs and literally had a 0% success rate, so I borrowed a friends Samsung SE-S184 external dvd writer. That bumped up my success rate to about 50/60%.

I am looking to buy a really good internal DVD writer and have been doing some research. I hear Pioneer and Plextor have the best drives for burning Xbox 360 backups on Memorex discs. I want to use Memorex discs rather than Verbatim just because they are so much cheaper (Memorex 50 pk for $30 compared to Verbatim 50 pk for $100).

Any suggestions on which drive to get and also which enclosure would work well with my Macbook Pro? Thanks in advance! :wink: Also, would it be possible to remove the casing of the Samsung external I have and put it on the new drive I buy?

Welcome to the forum

Cheap is not always cheapest.

Check out the MANY burner reviews here at CD Freaks. From that you can make up your own mind.

Memorex DL discs are prone to have a low burn success rate. It’s not the burner, it’s the media that’s the problem. Verbatim is always the best and cheapest choice. You spend more up front, but you get fewer coasters with Verbatim, so the final price is better.

[QUOTE=negritude;2312106]Memorex DL discs are prone to have a low burn success rate. It’s not the burner, it’s the media that’s the problem. Verbatim is always the best and cheapest choice. You spend more up front, but you get fewer coasters with Verbatim, so the final price is better.[/QUOTE]
Okay, this guy is not speaking from experience obviously, so listen to someone who is. I have burned OVER 300 DVD+R DL MEMOREX disks so far
on my cheap Sony DW-G120A drive and NEVER ONCE HAD A COASTER YET!!! I, like you, listened to the Verbatim Lovers at first and bought them, but the Memorex disks work just as good for much cheaper!! Don’t be another sheep and follow what the other sheep tell you. Try the Memorex disks for yourself and you will see!!! Use imgburn for XBOX 360 disks. Hope this helps! To everyone else… BAAA! BAAA!:disagree:

[QUOTE=vettepilot;2450950]Okay, this guy is not speaking from experience obviously, so listen to someone who is. I have burned OVER 300 DVD+R DL MEMOREX disks so far
on my cheap Sony DW-G120A drive and NEVER ONCE HAD A COASTER YET!!! I, like you, listened to the Verbatim Lovers at first and bought them, but the Memorex disks work just as good for much cheaper!! Don’t be another sheep and follow what the other sheep tell you. Try the Memorex disks for yourself and you will see!!! Use imgburn for XBOX 360 disks. Hope this helps! To everyone else… BAAA! BAAA!:disagree:[/QUOTE]

Said the man with a post count of 1 LOL

Anyway getting back on topic I use an Optiarc 7240 to burn my 360 backups with a SATA to USB converter have not had a bad burn yet but I only use Verbatim for my xbox

[QUOTE=MrPete1985;2450954]Said the man with a post count of 1 LOL

Anyway getting back on topic I use an Optiarc 7240 to burn my 360 backups with a SATA to USB converter have not had a bad burn yet but I only use Verbatim for my xbox[/QUOTE]
I’ll let my experience on this topic stand for it’s self. Not everyone who posts all the time knows what they are talking about. Just look at the posts of some of these people who post all the time. Posting number is not a good way to judge experience. Anyway, Memorex… just give it a try, you’ll see.:iagree:

[QUOTE=vettepilot;2450956]I’ll let my experience on this topic stand for it’s self. Not everyone who posts all the time knows what they are talking about. Just look at the posts of some of these people who post all the time. Posting number is not a good way to judge experience. Anyway, Memorex… just give it a try, you’ll see.:iagree:[/QUOTE]

Do a quality scan and we’ll see. :slight_smile:

The only consistently good DVD+R DL burns I get are on Verbatim media, so I agree that they are the way to go.

It might be that your burner is decent with the Memorex media… but I bet your burner is more than decent with Verbatim. Quality scans will answer the question.

Remember that readable today does not mean readable tomorrow.

[QUOTE=vettepilot;2450956]I’ll let my experience on this topic stand for it’s self. Not everyone who posts all the time knows what they are talking about. Just look at the posts of some of these people who post all the time. Posting number is not a good way to judge experience. Anyway, Memorex… just give it a try, you’ll see.:iagree:[/QUOTE]

Actually bad burn rate is only 25% of the problem with memorex

They have a thiner layer .45 compared to .6 so die faster
and this thinner layer causes the servo in your XBOX to brighten the
lazer…
This of course reduces the life of your XBOX drive…

Use memorex, they are great!!! your xbox will “not” thank you. lol

Your already saving $50 on the game, pay the extra $1 per disk and stop
being a cheap ass. 95% of the forum is pro verbatim for a reason

If verbatim is still above your allowance, try just about ANYTHING else
but just not memorex.

TDKs are good and just as cheap, not 100% burn success but wont burn
out your lazer pew pew
Other brands that are better then memorex

Sony, Ritek, DData, Imation, HP, Hypkmedia, FuJiFilm, PrimeDvD+
Philips, Dynex, RoDisk

I could go on but you see where this is going.

Personally ive used them all, and the best suggestion from best is

Verbatim, Fujifil, Ritek (some have bad luck on this one) then Imation