Best DVD-R discs (ranking)?

Could I get some opinions as to the top 5 best DVD-R discs to purchase?

Thanks,
Jedi Jeter

1. Taiyo Yuden
  2. Taiyo Yuden
  3. Taiyo Yuden
  4. Verbatim
  5. Verbatim

Sorry if this answer will seems a little ironic, but until now these are the only best choices.

1. Taiyo Yuden
  2. Ricoh
  3. Ritek
  4. MCC
  5. Sony (Own stuff, not the stuff they rebrand from other companies. Most of the new DVD media they sell is not rebranded)

Going by the manufacturor, most brands rebrand these companies as there own (for example Maxel rebrand alot of Ricoh and Ritek, Traxdata rebard mainly Ritek, Verbatim rebard MCC mainly).

Look around the blank media forum for more ideas, these are just a few from the top of my head that I like.

This is the problem with trying to create lists like this, ‘best’ media is going to vary, depending on your burner and firmware. And it’s going to depend on the specific media code, brand of media at times, etc. For example, most people would avoid current -R Ritek media like the plague, yet obviously some people still have faith in it. RICOHJPN media used to be great, but most of it is currently awful, thanks to Ritek. But then I’ve seen an occasional instance of someone having great results with current RICOHJPN, so it varies by brand (although most of the recent stuff is bad from what I’ve used and seen).

TY and Verbatim/MCC both burn well with most burners, but even those two burn poorly under certain circumstances, such as some MCC with some burners, based on country of manufacture. Generally speaking, TY and MCC are good suggestions, but you should list your burner model for more specific suggestions.