Best DVD quality scan drive

vbimport

Which one do you think that it’s the best DVD quality scanning drive?

• Plextor
  • BenQ
  • LiteOn
  • Other

Please also specify which model. I heard some say that the Plextor PX712 is best, others say Plextor Premium is even better, others think Plextor is inaccurate and that LiteON is better, others are BenQ fans and trust their scans. So, what’s your opinion?

Posted by cristyro

others say Plextor Premium is even better

I never saw a Plextor Premium DVD drive, I thought they were only for Cds but I may be mistaken.

In my opinion no drive scanned as well as the Nexperia based BenQs. The DW1640 was most probably the best.

Yes you are right, I was thinking about that Premium but I wasn’t sure so I posted that too.
Why I can’t post a poll here? Can you help me with that please?
Also, keep the posts coming, I want to see what you all think about this question (best drive).

[QUOTE=cristyro;2701937]Yes you are right, I was thinking about that Premium but I wasn’t sure so I posted that too.
Why I can’t post a poll here? Can you help me with that please?
Also, keep the posts coming, I want to see what you all think about this question (best drive).[/QUOTE]
I would be happy to help you but I really do not know exactly what content you want. You can do it, its really easy, try and if you cant do it I will help you and show you how.:wink: ( I started it for you, now tell me if you want anything added.:wink:

Thanks Alan. I tried to make one, but it just didn’t show me any place where I could write the poll options. The one you made is okay, right now I don’t think there’s anything that needs to be modified.

[QUOTE=cristyro;2701939]Thanks Alan. I tried to make one, but it just didn’t show me any place where I could write the poll options. The one you made is okay, right now I don’t think there’s anything that needs to be modified.[/QUOTE]
I am always here to help you, don’t be shy. :wink:

Hi :slight_smile:
Plextor*, with PlexTools did/do scan DVD’s.
They are excellent.
But difficult to compare to other drives.
Of the others the BenQ was/is streets ahead.
Though here, some LiteOn fans would probably dispute this.

*Believe they did "market one or two DVD drives as premium - but perhaps not actually referred to as such in terms of models ref.

[QUOTE=cristyro;2701933]Which one do you think that it’s the best DVD quality scanning drive?[/QUOTE]
Best in what way? If I scan the same disc in a Plextor, Lite-On, and BenQ I’ll get different results. By what metric is one better than another?

As far as I see it, as long as it reports jitter and error counts what’s the difference? You can’t really compare results across different drives, so you pick a drive and use that one drive to test all your burns as your measuring stick.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2701959]Best in what way? If I scan the same disc in a Plextor, Lite-On, and BenQ I’ll get different results. By what metric is one better than another?

As far as I see it, as long as it reports jitter and error counts what’s the difference? You can’t really compare results across different drives, so you pick a drive and use that one drive to test all your burns as your measuring stick.[/QUOTE]

Most accurate scans. Meaning being able to rescan a disc without major error count differences, reporting as valid data when scanning as possible not false error spikes or values etc.

[QUOTE=cristyro;2701961]Most accurate scans. Meaning being able to rescan a disc without major error count differences, reporting as valid data when scanning as possible not false error spikes or values etc.[/QUOTE]
I get the repeatability aspect, but how can you know if the data is valid and that you’re not getting false error spikes or values? Unless you’ve got the real deal expensive disc analyzing system(s) and use that as a benchmark, how do you know if the drive your testing is accurate or not? You don’t… However, if you’re doing a comparative analysis you don’t necessarily have to know if your ruler or measuring device is absolutely accurate or not because it’s a relative mark. In that case it doesn’t really matter what you use.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2701963]I get the repeatability aspect, but how can you know if the data is valid and that you’re not getting false error spikes or values? Unless you’ve got the real deal expensive disc analyzing system(s) and use that as a benchmark, how do you know if the drive your testing is accurate or not? You don’t… However, if you’re doing a comparative analysis you don’t necessarily have to know if your ruler or measuring device is absolutely accurate or not because it’s a relative mark. In that case it doesn’t really matter what you use.[/QUOTE]

There are CATS vs consumer drives comparations already, and false spikes/errors reported can be sometimes tested with a other drives and TRT: if there is are a lot of errors (and getting for example a 0 QS) but the TRT if perfect and when scanning with all other drives they show a perfect (97 QS for example) disc then you may start to doubt the reliability of that drive. Still, everyone has their own opinion, that’s why I created this topic. Let me ask it differently: which drive would you use and mostly trust when you want to scan DVD media, if you would have the possibility to use any consumer one?