Best dvd player for home made disks

vbimport

I’m looking for a DVD Player which plays home-made DVD +R/+RW discs, recorded on a Philips HDD/DVD Recorder. The Philips I have more and more often does not recognise the disc.

Before going shopping for DVD players, I’d recommend you try different/better/reliable media…Unless of course you’ve already tried different disc types…
What media are you using now and what apps/tools used for burning?..

Edit: scratch the app/tools used ?, since this is a standalone unit…

Also it sounds like the Phillips needs a cleaning.

[QUOTE=johann365;2547828]I’m looking for a DVD Player which plays home-made DVD +R/+RW discs, recorded on a Philips HDD/DVD Recorder. The Philips I have more and more often does not recognise the disc.[/QUOTE]

First how old is this unit? And have you tried to clean the laser lens to see if builtup hasn’t clouded the laser ability to read correctly? That would be the first thing I do and if that doesn’t work with various media and disc then most likely the player is no longer reliable and should be replaced.

Yo-

Phillips DVD players are notorious for not playing burned DVDs - try a good ole Pioneer DV-420 - they will play anything and really good too-eh

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2547914]Yo-

Phillips DVD players are notorious for not playing burned DVDs - try a good ole Pioneer DV-420 - they will play anything and really good too-eh[/QUOTE]

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Forget Philips…ever. As Mike said: Pioneer…all the way.

Thanks for your help - I’ve done everything suggested except buy a Pioneer, so I’ll do that.

We had two Philips players in the family, both of which played every disc you could throw at them, including some pretty crappy burned ones.

However: my last Philips (a recorder this time), after less than a year, refused to recognise burned, or even blank, discs - curiously, it performed as normal with pressed discs. That particular model (DVDR-5500) was recognised all over the web as having a shedload of problems, I found out afterwards.

I replaced it with an LG recorder, which thus far has been a champ (EDIT: around 11 months so far) - plays and burns on anything I chuck at it. If anything, I’d have thought the LG would be as picky as hell, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. :slight_smile:

BTW, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

familys had a couple of liteys like that lin maybe the same models just rebadged

[QUOTE=marcus_667;2548033]familys had a couple of liteys like that lin maybe the same models just rebadged[/QUOTE]

Could well be, since I believe some Philips at least were rebadged Liteys? Mind you I guess any manufacturer chucks out a lemon now and then :wink:

EDIT: just remembered - the drive inside the DVDR-5500 was the Litey DH20A4P. Could’ve been the drive or Philips’ firmware, who knows. :wink:

Sorry to the OP for taking the thread astray! :o

damn me for my o/t skills :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=johann365;2547995]Thanks for your help - I’ve done everything suggested except buy a Pioneer, so I’ll do that.[/QUOTE]

Yo johann365-

If you are in USA - Amazon has best price for the Pioneer DV-420V here:

I’ve never had issues with Philips playing DVDs.
A more likely issue, if these are burned homemade discs, is related to the quality of the blank DVDs.

Why HD-DVD is not superfluous

My experience is that some weird Chinese brand crap dvd player usually plays anything and everything.

I think your main problem is the way you are making and recording your DVD’s. Yes, you need good Media like Verbatim, but DVD’s are protected against recording them. So you need software like AnyDVD or better yet DVDFab, to make good Back-ups. With this software you can rip Movie Only or Full Back-up. Then these Disc’s will play in any good DVD Player.
:cool:

One of my players is a Philips, and like others I’ve had no issues playing good media and even some crappy stuff…I purchased it a couple of years ago specifically b/c of it’s AVI playback support, and it was on sale…:wink:
Not sure what my next purchase will be, b/c the philips and sammy player(s) are [I]still[/I] chugging along nicely…
My $0.02 worth…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2548740]I think your main problem is the way you are making and recording your DVD’s. Yes, you need good Media like Verbatim, but DVD’s are protected against recording them. So you need software like AnyDVD or better yet DVDFab, to make good Back-ups. With this software you can rip Movie Only or Full Back-up. Then these Disc’s will play in any good DVD Player.
:cool:[/QUOTE]

“protected against recording,” really?

Since September 2005 I’ve home-recorded around 6,000 DVDs.

With my thirteen daily-use Panasonic, Magnavox and Philips recorders I use Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R discs, currently recording around 160 DVDs per month. In order to extend the useful life of laser assemblies I stopped using 16x media in all my stand-alone HDD/DVD recorders and DVD recorders back in 2008.

For computer use or duplication I use 16x DVD-R media, Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim AZO series discs. Verbatim LifeTime (retail store) series discs are inferior to AZO series discs. Some Office Max and a few other retail stores might still have AZO series discs in stock. Otherwise AZO series discs must be purchased online. The photo shows the Verbatim “AZO” logo.

For use with stand-alone recorders I would suggest switching to Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line or Verbatim 8x DataLifePlus media:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-r-media-100-pack?filter=brand%3DTAIYO+YUDEN|Speed%3D8X&max=15&offset=0

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/verbatim-8x-dvd-r-media-94852-thermal-hub-printable-cake-box-50pk?filter=brand%3DVERBATIM&max=15&offset=0

Hmmm. The problem with Pioneer players here in NZ is they will only play DVD+, won’t recognise DVD-.
Have to go to a Philips or JVC player for minus media. Still, have probably bought up all the available Vert’s AZO plus’s in NZ, so am set for a while.

I bought a Magnavox in 2003 and it’s still working fine. It plays everything even older disk. Now I use Verbatim disks and haven’t made a coaster yet.:iagree::iagree:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2548486]My experience is that some weird Chinese brand crap dvd player usually plays anything and everything.[/QUOTE]

Hehe yeah, strangely that’s often the case :iagree:

When my Philips DVDR-5500 quit playing/recognising any kind of blank or burned disc, the brands in question a) were TY and Verb, and b) previously played (or burned, in the case of my Verbie RWs) perfectly on the same machine. So no dodgy brands here, although the machine could have needed cleaning.

Odd that the problem began to occur about 6 months after I had it though, when my previous Philips players never needed cleaning in all the years I owned them. :wink:

And don’t even get me started on the DVDR-5500’s [well-documented] freezing-up problem - usually, right when you were wanting to record something! :a

EDIT: agree with others, since the disc brand isn’t mentioned in the OP unless I missed it, that disc quality/badly burned discs may well be a problem. :iagree: