Best dvd media

vbimport

Whats the best dvd media right now. Is it Ty, is there any manufacteurs and uses Real TY. Where in Canada, can i find these media.
Thanks

TY is very good. Verbatim is also very good. I like Verbatim 16x DVD+R, they work well in all my writers at a number of speeds. If you can get verbatim for cheaper than TY, don’t bother with TY.

Objection! :disagree:

What you said is correct, but there are a few exceptions to this. :wink:
If you have important data I would always recommend burning on at least two or even better three different disc types to be safe. :slight_smile:
There’s also other good media like Maxell Made in Japan, but even more expensive than TY :bigsmile:

I mostly use TY dye Verbatim discs, as they are cheaper than true T-Y. However when I compare graphs to true T-Y discs (as I have some of them too), I find the graphs of the true ones better e.g. total PIE of <50 as opposed to <300. That said as the Verbs are still very good these are my main disc, because the cost difference is greater than the quality difference.

:eek: I wanna see that !

You mean [B]PIF[/B] :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW : A disc with total PIF >3000 may live so much longer than a disc with total PIF <50 :wink:

There are so many occasions where mentioning “RITEK G05” is not wrong. :bigsmile:

Objection overruled! J/k

I do agree with that :slight_smile:

Curious on this one too.

I can’t walk into CompUSA or Office Depot and read the media descriptor off the packaging… and I have yet to see a package labeled TY (taiyo yuden, how the hell do you spell it?). I’m sure I would be frowned on for hauling my laptop and burner and cracking each package open to find one amongst the brands, too.

Verbatim, I can understand - Verbatim actually sells media. But what about the others? Is there a site that lists common brand/type associations (I know, they change…)? If not, what good are these recommendations anyway? You buy a spindle of media, it’s like hitting the lottery? If you got type X, you struck it rich? How do you know where to invest?

stares curiously at Memorex’s “ProdiscF02” label… =(

Taiyo Yuden is spelled Taiyo Yuden. :slight_smile:
If you actually wanted to know how it’s pronounced, it’s like:
[B]Tai[/B] like [I]a [U]tie[/U][/I]
[B]yo[/B] like [I][U]yo[/U]-yo[/I]
[B]Yu[/B] like [I][U]you[/U][/I]
[B]den[/B] like [I]gar[U]den[/U][/I]

(Stolen from the Dolphin.)

An example for a site with common brand/type associations would be Videohelp.com. :slight_smile:
And there’s the slightly outdated list here.

You can tell some media from the cakebox style as some manufacturers have special cakebox styles.

Most of the Taiyo Yuden media is sold by companies like Sony under their own names. “Made in Japan” will be on the packaging.
Only some That’s media (That’s is Taiyo Yuden’s own brand) and unbranded media actually mention Taiyo Yuden’s name.
(I know there’s Emgeton from the Czech Republic too, but the small volume of TY discs used by Emgeton is negligible.)

I got my self some Verbatim 16x DVD+R they are made in Taiwan. What you think. Where can I find Verbatim with Ty, and how do you tell they Ty.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-004-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [004]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
[Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Thanks

In general Verbatim 16x DVD+R media is very good, but there are exceptions where people get mediocre or even bad batches. There are threads about this in the Blank Media forum right now.

Verbatim 16x DVD+R media made by Taiyo Yuden can be recognized by “Made in Japan” on the packaging. Until now I have seen no report of such media from North American users - it’s restricted to the European market AFAIK.

Yep :slight_smile:

Agre with Evilboy’s post #3 as well. If it’s important, don’t restrict your self to one copy. :wink:

There is no such thing [I]per se[/I] as “TY dye Verbatim discs”, :disagree: and Verbatim TY actually [I]IS[/I] “true” TY.

Taiyo Yuden manufactures the discs, Verbatim sells them under the Verbatim brand. As simple as that. I think that even the branding (Verbatim logo etc…) is made at Taiyo Yuden factories.

Looks like you’ve been mislead by a common misconception about media, sadly widely spread on the net, i.e. that the mediacode is the dye used, and that for example Verbatim TYG02 are discs manufactured by Verbatim with a TYG02 “dye”. That is entirely incorrect.

Actually, the mediacode is the [I]model[/I] of the disc, and indicates the [I]actual manufacturer[/I] of the disc, whatever the brand it’s sold under (unless the mediacode is faked, but this is another story). There are very few exceptions to this rule.

Now, this doesn’t mean that there’s no variation in quality from brand to brand with the same mediacode. :iagree: (another widely spread misconception).

This is made more complicated by the fact that most blank media companies these days outsource their production, so that you can e.g. have a blank DVD with a Mitsubishi media code such as MCC004 which has been manufactured by Prodisc or CMC in Taiwan or by Moser Baer in India, but using Mitsubishi technology and Quality Control
[li].[/li]
This should NOT be confused with media using fake media codes which is manufactured using different technology and without the consent of the company indicated by the faked media code.

[*] Although judging by the quality variations seen these days, that Quality Control seems more mythical than Unicorns and Fairies.

[quote=“DrageMester”]
[li][/color] Although judging by the quality variations seen these days, that Quality Control seems more mythical than Unicorns and Fairies.[/li][/quote]
Maybe not [I]that[/I] mythical :bigsmile: , but then again…