Best dvd media and how to know what you are buying

i have done a bunch of searching on this and have come up with a big headache

the question is what is some of the best media for dvd+r 4x I am sure there is prob not a single best one but if there is you could tell me that also :slight_smile:

next question is how to know if you are getting what you want. for example just because you are buying a certian brand say memorex ( that is what I have been using ’ from wal-mart’ dvd+r 4x seems to work ok , but not really that great of price.) its said that most “brands” change what manufacturer (sp?) they get there media from so you might get the same next time might not . is there any "brand " that always has good media ??

this has prob been beat to death but i didnt find any good answers, so sorry if you get this all the time.

thanks for your help
frustrated , charles :confused:

i have a lite-on LDW-401s firmware ES0G

The best dvd +R’s are probably made by Taiyo Yuden. Finding them is another problem altogether.

Apparently they are available consistently under the That’s label. I haven’t seen that brand nor heard of anyone buying those in the US.

You can sometimes find them as Verbatim DatalifePlus disks. You have to check the label on the container and make sure it says Made in Japan. These probably won’t be available for a bargain price you know.

Many people swear by the Ritek G04 +R disks. You can buy these online at various different sites—Hyper Microsystem, Rima and allmediaoutlet among others. These are relatively inexpensive.

Mostly you need to find the disks that work best with your particular hardware setup. What works for others may not work for you. I ran into that problem when trying to use disks with the RicohJPN001 identification. They were sold as TDK 4x. Didn’t work well in my NEC 1300a, but others with my recorder have reported success with those same disks.

Confusing isn’t it?

Wait till we start seeing 8x disks.

Originally posted by Kerry56

The best dvd +R’s are probably made by Taiyo Yuden.
Pretty much the same with TY DVD-R.

Plextor DVD+R 4x are made by Taiyo Yuden,
just look for the “Made in Japan” :slight_smile:

But these Plextor DVD+Rs are rather expensive
(5pack in jewel cases €13.99) and I don’t know
whether they are widely available.

Andy :smiley:

Here in Norway plextor DVD+R costs about 25% less than Verbatim at least.

Still cost about 40% more than the cheapest discs though.

But if you want the best and want the discs to work and last long… :wink:

ran into that problem when trying to use disks with the RicohJPN001 identification. They were sold as TDK 4x

The RICOHJPNR01 has been so variable in quality that I’m afraid to buy it. Unfortunately, it’s hard to avoid. TDK 4x, Memorex 4x, Fuji 4x etc., etc., etc.
I would suggest staying away from it.