Best DVD-drive for ripping CD's?

vbimport

I’ am looking for the best optical drive for ripping lots of CD’s with dB Power AMP R13.3 into FLAC files, so a drive with superior CR2, cache etc which is awesome for ripping CD’s is wanted!

But no one really lists any details on how decent their drivers are when it comes to these features, so I was hoping for some advice from users on this board regarding which optical drive that would suite me best on the market today?

The very best is certainly the Plextor Premium. If you can find it (too bad is not more produced) and if you can afford it (it is not a cheap drive), then is the way to go :bigsmile:

I also suggest to use Exact Audio Copy as software :slight_smile:

After using EAC for a while, I find dbpowermap superior for a few reasons:

• First of all it’s much more effective, taking use of my four Core i7 920 cores way better than EAC does, resulting in me being able to rip like ten CD’s with accurate rip in the time EAC is done with a single one.

EAC just never seemed optimized for more powerful systems, even when running the same secure settings, if not even more secure with dbpoweramp it does the job 10x faster.

• Second dbpoweramp have some advantages when it comes to PerfectMeta, FLAC ID Tagging and features like ReplyGain.

I wouldn’t say everyone should buy dbpoweramp, as EAC basicly does the same good job for free, but if you want to pay a little extra for some improved UI, and more effective and optimized software adding nice features like perfect meta, more advanced FLAC ID tagging and things like ReplyGain it’s indeed a really nice piece of software for the price!

When it comes to the Plextor Premium, how does it compare to the Plextor Premium II and my current Sony / NEC Optiarc AD-7240S?

I never did comparisons between these two drives, because I always use my Premium when I need to rip a CD. Sorry, I’m not able to answer this question :frowning:

About the ripping process, I always thought that the machine (i.e. CPU, mainboard, etc) has no influence on ripping speed, because all the work is done by the drive, so whatever is the machine used, the drive still will work the same at the same speed. The only exception is if the mainboard is so old that it can’t run at full speed or if you connect the drive through an USB1 port, but these are rather rare events in these days.

Maybe the only difference that can have the machine power is about FLAC compression itself, but this is not related in any way to EAC because if I’m not wrong it has not the FLAC compressor embedded, but it uses an external one.

When I have to make a FLAC file, I usually use EAC to rip the whole disc as WAV, and then I use the FLAC frontend to copmpress the file after all the ripping work was completed.

BTW, is it certainly possible that dbpoweramp is more updated and optimized than EAC so it can rip the CD more efficiently. Again, I’m not able to answer to this, sorry :frowning: