Best DVD drive for reading scratched CDs?

OK so I don’t need to change the "I/O settings to 0 read retries and tick “ignore read errors” ?

Right now I have IsoPuzzle working on a DVD-R I scrated on purpose for testing. I scratched till CloneDVD2 failed. It took till the third try because I didn’t want it too bad.

Yes, you need to change those, but no other settings in addition to those.

I will be doing some testing & I will post the results.
I will compare the amount of read errors each program has if possible.
IsoPuzzle will only have the total disc errors though.

OK sounds good - look forward to the results! I have been doing more tests with different scratched discs, and the results are almost exactly comparable to the 1 disc I used for the data I posted earlier in this thread.

@ gilius2k14 , Here are my results :
Using DVDDecrypter :
I placed a bad scratch where I knew the first .vob was . I placed a second scratch about where the second .vob is. Had I placed the scratch only in the forth .vob area the percents would be higher, I think the only accurate way to do this is the whole DVD . Even then it would depend on the number of scratches & how bad they are.

TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H662A (E: ) 17% at 10 read errors first.vob
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H662A (E: ) 25% at 10 read errors on second .vob.

BENQ DVD DD DW1650 (D: ) 16% at 10 read errors first.vob
BENQ DVD DD DW1650 (D: ) 25% at10 read errors on second.vob

MATSHITA DVD-RAM SW-9585 (H: ) 17% at 10 read errors first.vob
MATSHITA DVD-RAM SW-9585 (H: ) 23% at10 read errors on second.vob

I did run DVDDecrypter on the whole movie in the TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H662A . Once it got to 18% it stayed there for 3 hours . At that point I stopped it. I don’t think it would have ever finished . I’m currently trying the same in the MATSHITA DVD-RAM SW-9585 drive in my older computer. If it does better I will post the results.

Using IsoPuzzle I will post an image. I ran it for several hours over 3 days on the TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H662A . Giving breaks other that the “cool downs” IsoPuzzle itself gives. It came close to ripping this dvd but finally came to almost a standstill. It might have completed in several more hours . I will be giving it a go later in some of my other drives but to the same .iso . I suspect they will only get a small amount also on each pass.

Interesting results-thanks for posting! I think a Samsung SH will get you much farther than any of those drives, which are quite low down in the pecking order. So I think it’s important to get the best hardware before even considering software.

your results with the Samsung SH look good so I think they are good drives.
When I get a used DVD that is already scratched & doesn’t rip with my usual software I use IsoPuzzle . Most of the time even though it shows errors there is no artifacting on the burned DVD . For me this is a satisfactory result .
The very long time on this DVD is because I didn’t use all of my drives to do this rip.
That usually speeds the process up .
I also gave the MATSHITA DVD-RAM SW-9585 a try with the DVD I scratched using DVDDecrypter . This is the drive in my older computer.After 7 hours it was still at 19% .
I used an xacto knife to make the two scratches & It may have done too good of a job. Making the fairly deep with the tip sideways & about an inch long . This was on a freshly burned DVD I burned for testing. I would use a much lighter touch if I did this again.

[QUOTE=cholla;2734821]your results with the Samsung SH look good so I think they are good drives.
When I get a used DVD that is already scratched & doesn’t rip with my usual software I use IsoPuzzle . Most of the time even though it shows errors there is no artifacting on the burned DVD . For me this is a satisfactory result .
The very long time on this DVD is because I didn’t use all of my drives to do this rip.
That usually speeds the process up .
I also gave the MATSHITA DVD-RAM SW-9585 a try with the DVD I scratched using DVDDecrypter . This is the drive in my older computer.After 7 hours it was still at 19% .
I used an xacto knife to make the two scratches & It may have done too good of a job. Making the fairly deep with the tip sideways & about an inch long . This was on a freshly burned DVD I burned for testing. I would use a much lighter touch if I did this again.[/QUOTE]

Well I’m replacing an old worn-out Pioneer burner (I believe it was made by Quanta) and I have a few around. Notably, a HL-DS GHA2N, a GH82N, a GH70N and a Samsung SH-216AB. I was wondering which is the best balance of read and burn quality. The HL-DS drive models have all served well in the burning department at work, but since this is my main home box, and since I still use my optical drive a lot, notably for reading old CDs and such, I think the Samsung has found its new home.
Thanks for doing these tests! It’s great to see that someone has taken time to check more recent optical drive models for their capabilities!

These days for dealing with audio cds in poor condition, I alternate between 3 (or more) different current optical drives manufactured by LiteOn, Samsung, and LG.

I use EAC set to secure mode with AccurateStream checked. (I don’t bother checking C2 and cache).

When I’m really paranoid, I’ll rip a particular audio cd disc on these 3 different drives and calculate the md5 and sha* hashes on the respective resulting *.wav files. (I usually rip the entire audio cd disc into one huge wav file). If the drives are extracting the audio data correctly, the respective hashes should be the same.

(Some EMI/Capitol released audio cds released back in the 1980s seem to have been manufactured poorly, that secure mode on EAC seems to take forever. For these particular discs, I’ll try the same procedure using one of the lesser extraction options on EAC).