Best DVD drive for reading scratched CDs?

vbimport

What are the best dvd drives (either DVDRW or DVDROM) for reading scratched CDs without trouble?

LiteOn has been good for me in that respect - recovered data from many trashed discs with one.

My Asus E616A DVD-ROM drive has proved to be pretty impressive in that department. Here is an example of a very scratched up/scuffed CD-R disc that I tried to get it to read. There were 17 audio tracks and it got all but the last two off of there. Given the condition of the disc, I’m surprised the drive pulled ANYTHING off of it.

IIRC Asus E616A is a MediaTek chipset equiped drive, as well as all Lite-On’s. So I’m not surprised. :slight_smile:
Heck, this drive can even read DVD-RAM discs.

Are Lite-Ons still the best for reading scratched up DVDs?

[QUOTE=TomBrooklyn;2124535]Are Lite-Ons still the best for reading scratched up DVDs?[/QUOTE]

Either LiteOn, or a recent Samsung drive, as they’ve shown themselves to be excellent at this, too :slight_smile:

Hmm, best drive for reading scratched CDs? I’ve got to say that the best drive that I own than can do this perfectly is my LG GSA-4160B. I have recovered many damaged discs that any other drive can read; but because this drive is old, I can suggest you a Lite-On drive. I has a decent CD error correction so you can go with it. Just to add, don’t go with a LG GSA-H62N for this, it has the worst CD error correction of all my drives, however it’s the best of all to read damaged DVDs, it’s awesome for that.

well you could spend a big money on a high end disc drive or you could just get the disc repaired for just a couple of dollars.

I’m amazed at the the extremes people will go too, to repair a scratched DVD/CD themselves. When they could just sent it to a professional service and get it working like new.

No fix-it yourself method will work long term you need to get your disc resurfaced.

What service could repair a cracked cd like this? I’d be willing to spend a few hundred dollars.

[QUOTE=joemamma66;2550953]What service could repair a cracked cd like this? I’d be willing to spend a few hundred dollars.[/QUOTE]Ouch! And to make it worse, it looks as if someone had tried to “repair” the disc with glue :eek:

You may ask the people from Ontrack- they have a very good reputation. But I doubt they can do anything with this heavily damaged disc.

Michael

How does the backup disc from that look??

I found a disc whose 4 VOBs will rip to a different percentage on different DVD-Writers, so have been testing a number of drives out recently to give an indication of their ripping potential. The drives that rip this one disc the best are also, generally, the more powerful and consistent I find - though more testing with different types of scratched discs would yield more accurate results. Also, some are more powerful at reading the TOC than others.

Has any other tests ever been carried out of this kind before? What other brands would you recommend I purchase? Are Blu-ray drives any better at reading DVDs?

Samsung SH-216BB OCT 2012 INT(SATA) 100.00%
Samsung SH-224DB JUN 2014 INT(SATA) 99.99%
Asus DRW-24F1ST APR 2014 INT(SATA) 85.25%
Plextor DVDR PX-891SAW SEP 2013 INT(SATA) 64.50%
Philips/Lite-On 2 eTAU-108 FEB 2010 (WHITE ROUND) EXT 49.25%
Toshiba/Samsung TS-U633F SLIM INT (SATA) 46.00%
Aopen DSW2012PA SEP 2007 INT(IDE) 41.75%
Emprex INT(IDE) 41.50%
BTC BDV-316B FEB 2002 INT(IDE) 41.50%
Toshiba/Samsung TS-U633J SLIM INT (SATA) 39.50%
Philips/Lite-On DH-16A6S INT(SATA) 38.75%
Philips/Lite-On DH-16AES INT(SATA) 38.25%
HITACHI-LG GH82N INT(SATA) 37.75%
Pioneer DVR-221LBK JAN 2014 INT(SATA) 34.00%
Philips/Lite-On PLDS DH-16ABS APR 2011 INT(SATA) 34.00%
Matshita DVD-RAM UJ890AS SLIM INT(SATA) 21.75%
Philips/Lite-On 1 eSAU208 JUN 2007 (BLACK FLAT) EXT 33.25%
BTC DRW1108 2005 INT(IDE) 29.00%
Matshita UJ8E1 SLIM INT (SATA) 25.00%
HP dvd1260i FEB 2013 INT(SATA) 25.00%
Samsung SE-S084 APR 2011 EXT 24.00%
Pioneer DVR-219L INT(SATA) 17.50%
BTC BCO 5216IM OCT 2003 INT(IDE) 14.75%
Toshiba/Samsung TS-H653G May 2009 INT(SATA) 9.50%
Philips/Lite-On 3 (BLACK ROUND) EXT 6.00%
Pioneer EXT On order
Sony AD-5260S-01 INT(SATA) On order
BenQ DW1640 INT(IDE) On order

I couldn’t tell you where to look on the internet but I bet someone has done similar testing.
Interesting to see the list & percentages. I don’t have any of the drives on the list.

When I have a problem DVD I use IsoPuzzle . You need the correct wnaspi32.dll in it’s folder . It doesn’t come with it. the wnaspi32.dll is available for download here at club.myce . It also has to be used with a decrypter like AnyDVD on a commercial DVD . I think DVDFab Passkey Lite will also work but I’ve done very limited testing with it .

Which drive(s) do you have?

I used DVDDecrypter and once it got to 5-10 read errors I just noted down the percentage where it was having a hiccup, otherwise some Writers would end up having more than 1000 read errors and could take days to rip - not to mention damage the drive.

The disc used for testing is particularly stubborn, but the 2 Samsungs could rip all 4 VOBs with only 20 and 26 read errors, respectively. Most other drives could not read VOBs 3 or 4 to any percentage whatsoever, so even with ISOpuzzle I doubt you would have enough time to image this disc through till the end - unless you had the top 4 drives in my list (or others not yet tested that are comparable).

[QUOTE=gilius2k14;2734354]Which drive(s) do you have?
[/QUOTE]

In use but not my the main drives I use two of these:

For some reason one is a better reader. It is in my old computer I use for a backup computer.
My most used drives are:
BENQ DVD DD DW1650 BCIC
TSSTCORP CDDVDW TS-H662A UO00 (Samsung)

I have this drive not currently in use because I took it out of my external enclosure to use one of the “Hammer” drives in it.
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222L (Samsung)

My laptop also has a Samsung I rarely use it and don’t have the model number handy.

[QUOTE=gilius2k14;2734354]Which drive(s) do you have?
I used DVDDecrypter and once it got to 5-10 read errors I just noted down the percentage where it was having a hiccup, otherwise some Writers would end up having more than 1000 read errors and could take days to rip - not to mention damage the drive.
[/QUOTE]

I rarely use DVDDecrypter these days . I will have to give it a try again to look at read errors.

[QUOTE=gilius2k14;2734354]
The disc used for testing is particularly stubborn, but the 2 Samsungs could rip all 4 VOBs with only 20 and 26 read errors, respectively. Most other drives could not read VOBs 3 or 4 to any percentage whatsoever, so even with ISOpuzzle I doubt you would have enough time to image this disc through till the end - unless you had the top 4 drives in my list (or others not yet tested that are comparable).[/QUOTE]

The longest I’ve had a rip take is 25 hours over 3 computers & 5 drives.
That’s an unusual case. I’ve had IsoPuzzle rip anywhere fro 20 minutes to 6 hours ; somewhere in between is the normal time.

I have a BenQ drive on order. The Samsung TS series is clearly crap, but you have one from their SH series, which is at the top of my list.

For DVDDecrypter you have to change the I/O settings to 0 read retries and tick “ignore read errors” for it to progress.

Whether you rip with Decrypter or ISOPuzzle you need to be aware that a lot of sectors will not be read or be unrecoverable simply down to the limitation of the hardware and quality of the laser, etc. Some drives may rip different parts of a disc better, so it’s important to monitor different VOBs and percentages. If you leave an a disc to image over the course of several hours with only 1 drive then you won’t know which parts were handled well and those parts that may be entirely null depending on your hardware.

I understand that the TS-H662A is just an earlier version of the SH-S222 series,
That this was just a model number change by Samsung. Both seem to work well but I haven’t done the error comparisons that you have.
My understanding of IsoPuzzle is it rereads all sectors until they are read. Some with errors. It does do cooldowns during the process so the drive doesn’t burn out.

Yes, the TS series is an earlier version, but change of code name would suggest that perhaps Samsung collaborated with Toshiba for the earlier series before becoming completely independent in manufacturing the SH series? Just a guess. My testing shows the SH series to be vastly superior to the TS series, so you can bet the internal design and/quality of the parts is completely different to reflect the name change.

ISOPuzzle will read the sectors like Decrypter but they will read many more as errors unless your have a laser product good enough to handle the scratched disc. Decrypter provides more awareness in that respect.

@ gilius2k14 , Which “Mode” do you use when checking for errors with DVDDecrypter .
You posted some I/O settings above.
Would you post any other settings you think relevant to checking for errors from a drive read?

They are the only settings you need to change. Always use File Mode as that tries to rip each VOB by file.