Best dvd burner

vbimport

what is the best quality dvd burners

Welcome to the forums prostata.

There really isn’t a good answer for your question, since the manufacturers aren’t really consistent. There aren’t many drive manufacturers left, and each one has produced high quality and poor quality drives at some time or another.

At the moment the Optiarc 7240s or 7241s are considered reasonably good drives. They use a SATA interface. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118032

If you want a drive with an IDE interface (the older style with the flat gray cable), I’m not sure what to recommend. Perhaps one of the Lite-on or LG 22x drives, like these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106327

ill 2nd the Sony Optiarc 7240s drive :wink: (which i basically got from the recommendation on this site)

i have this and it was a big upgrade over my old Liteon 1673S (from 2005)… as you can burn @ 20x on Verbatim DVD-R and DVD+R 16x cert discs while still maintaining good quality burns etc. it also reads discs much faster than my burner from 2005 to.

if you live the USA you can get it here for $23.99 out the door… http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030 NOTE: your PC MUST have SATA ports otherwise this drive will not work!!! (i just want to make this clear as Kerry56 already mentioned.)

ill 2nd the Sony Optiarc 7240s drive (which i basically got from the recommendation on this site)

Me three!..:iagree:

Your best bet would to look at the specs for various burners and then pick the one you like best as everybody has their own favorite and they differ from person to person, like myself I have always had Pioneers and will continue to use them but other people might not like them

[QUOTE=prostata;2509120]what is the best quality dvd burners[/QUOTE]

I think this is like asking “which came first the chicken or the egg”? There are pro/con to every drive as well as user experiences to drives. I used liteon drives for reading and burning dvd and had no problem whatever using them besides burning so much I wore the mechanisms out. And even then the liteon replacement drives wasn’t that much more expensive to get. So it all comes down to what are you really looking for and what are you expecting to do with the drive?

I think it’s fair to say (regardless of thread title), the OP wants recommendations and [I]personal opinions[/I]…Cuz some like chicken, and not everyone loves eggs…Me, I love both…:wink:
I wish more thread starters would consider, not using “what is best”…Else expect the “which came first the chicken or the egg”? response(s)…

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

For DVD burners:

My Pioneer 215D flashed to a 215L is my fav burner. I liked my first one so much i have 2.

My Sony Optiarc 7240S is my 2nd fav but only have one of them.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2509528]I think it’s fair to say (regardless of thread title), the OP wants recommendations and [I]personal opinions[/I]…Cuz some like chicken, and not everyone loves eggs…Me, I love both…:wink:
I wish more thread starters would consider, not using “what is best”…Else expect the “which came first the chicken or the egg”? response(s)…[/QUOTE]

lol :stuck_out_tongue:

I like both as well. But I would agree rather then using “What is Best” rather should say based on your experiences which would fit my needs and apps and what would you recommend to look at and compare products. Some products are cross platform so it hard to really know whom made the drive itself. But only way is to know the chipset to be able to differentiate products to a degree.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2509528]I think it’s fair to say (regardless of thread title), the OP wants recommendations and [I]personal opinions[/I]…Cuz some like chicken, and not everyone loves eggs…Me, I love both…;)[/QUOTE]

Hehehe :clap: :bigsmile:

I’ll bite, since everyone else is. LG drives are my favourites, especially the ones with a Renesas chipset.

The ones I’ve owned have been very robust, put up with a lot of abuse…oh, and they turn out great quality burns as long as you feed them good media.

Oh, and welcome to the forum prostata :slight_smile:

In my personal opinion, I would recommend a LiteOn (iHAS524 or any other iHASn24-nn-[B]A[/B] - make sure it is the A and not the Y variant, as the Y is a relabeled Optiarc) if one likes playing around with stuff, trying low quality or less widespread media too (HT/OHT) or wants to do DVD quality scanning.

For speedy no-hassle burning with high quality media (Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim), I’d recommend a recent NEC/Optiarc (20x speed, 520x/720x or 24x speed, 5240/724x).

LG or Samsung (20x or 24x Samsung, but avoid the 22x Samsungs!) are other options that can be considered, especially if they are cheap. Note the LGs are the only drives still manufactured that can’t do any disc quality scans at all…