Best DVD burner for ripping CDs?

Hi,

I’m in the middle of ripping about 1000 CDs and need a burner that’s going to be able to rip everything I can throw at it. Up to now I’ve been using a Samsung SM-348B combo drive(which I gave away thinking all drives were the same - d’oh!) which ripped everything. Then I replaced it with a cheapie Philips DVDR drive from SVP which burns DVDs fine but is terrible for ripping CDs.

I’ve seen from other posts that the Plextor drives are supposed to be good for this, but they are too expensive for me. I’ve been thinking about the Pioneer DVR-111DBK, Samsung SH-S182D/BEBN or the LiteOn SHM-165P6S-09C but I’m open to other suggestions too. So please let me know what you think and help a newbie buy a great CD ripping drive!

Thanks,
SixToes

Welcome to CDF:

Do a search using “Best CD Burner” or words like that and search titles only (at least, when you start out).

Here are two interesting threads I found. I know there are others.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=195692&highlight=cd+burner

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=197209&highlight=cd+burner

I never had a problem ripping my CD collection with a LiteOn drive, especially on some older, not-so-well-kept discs.

Some might say Plextor in conjunction with EAC software, though. :slight_smile:

For CD burning, my LG4163B, BenQ drives, or LG CDRW drive are all good. :slight_smile:

Oh, and welcome :smiley:

If you do some research then you might find that the Philips is really a Benq, and thus with the right cross-flashing could be one of the best drives around.

What’s the model number?

No one wants to overload you with information but checkout Newegg.com:

I’ve seen from other posts that the Plextor drives are supposed to be good for this, but they are too expensive for me.

Their prices for OEM internal burners are priced well within 10% or less of each other. With free shipping offers and sometimes rebates, the prices on most burners have dropped.

Sorry about the slow feedback, it’s been a really hectic week.

No one wants to overload you with information but checkout Newegg.com:
Unfortunately I’m in the UK, so can’t use Newegg - shame because I know they have great prices!

If you do some research then you might find that the Philips is really a Benq, and thus with the right cross-flashing could be one of the best drives around.
You were right, although it turns out it’s a LiteOn. I crossflashed it to the LiteOn SHW-1635S and updated it to the Fastburn firmware linked from this site but it made no difference.

On closer examination I think there is something wrong with my drive as it refuses to read or write any form of CD but still works fine with DVD media, so I think I’m going to go for the Pioneer (kinda lost confidence in LiteOn based on this drive) because of the review on this site.

Some might say Plextor in conjunction with EAC software, though.
I’m definitely going to start using EAC now, thanks for thie tip!

Thanks for all your help!

Really nice drive, the 1635S - I have two and love them. :slight_smile:

Just to check it isn’t a software thing, have you tried booting from your OS CD with the LiteOn?

Apologies if you already tried. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help Arachne :),

I tried booting a Knoppix CD and it worked. I still couldn’t get EAC to work properly though so I had a look inside the computer and realised that the drive was connected with a 40 wire IDE cable. I switched it for an 80 wire and it seemed to work a little bit better in Windows. It still refused to read nearly all CDs though. On the discs it does work with (and this is only with C2 error correction enabled) it rips at about 0.5 speed which is way too slow.

I think the next thing to do is install a secondary drive, boot Knoppix off it, and then see it the LiteOn works correctly with CDs under Knoppix. If it does then I probably need to reinstall Windows :(, if it doesn’t I get a new drive :(.

One thing I did notice was that it seems to be using an Adaptec ASPI layer - is it worth trying the native Windows one instead?

As ever, any advice is appreciated! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
SixToes

Hi,

Adaptec ASPI layer isn’t needed on Windows 2000 and XP.
In my experience, Liteon DVDRW drives are slow rippers if used with EAC. You may try CDEx instead. If you decide yourself to get another drive, I’d recommend trying the Samsung. See if there is a review about that drive (and one for the Pioneer) on CDF and check the chapters you are interested in.

Michael