Best DVB-S card?

vbimport

Doing custom-build, and thinking of adding DVB-S card, as I may try out DirectTV someday. I’ll be teaching myself Linux, so its important card ‘just works’, as I got zero interest in messing with the kernel, or doing a lot of fussing to make it functional. Also guess I should mention I’ll be using legacy motherboard, graphics card, and distro releases having kernel 2.6.29 (or prior), in case that is important. If at all possible, I’d like card to offer component, s-video, or composite to accomodate my TV, DVD recorder, and VCR. Would like opinions as to the best DVB-S card for my needs. Don’t matter if it’s no longer easily available, as I can track down most anything.

DVB-S? You are in the past.
I bought my first DVB-S card in 2000 or 2001…
Nowadays DVB-S cards will be sold out for about 10 to 20 bucks.
Go for a DVB-S2 card. I like the ones from Prof and TBS. Depending on what you trying to do you could even get a [B]real professional one like the TBS 6925[/B] (usb variant is weaker: 5925).

[QUOTE=chef;2690904]DVB-S? You are in the past.
I bought my first DVB-S card in 2000 or 2001…
Nowadays DVB-S cards will be sold out for about 10 to 20 bucks.
Go for a DVB-S2 card. I like the ones from Prof and TBS. Depending on what you trying to do you could even get a [B]real professional one like the TBS 6925[/B] (usb variant is weaker: 5925).[/QUOTE]

Additional Google research has now confirmed that DVB-S/DVB-S2 TV tuner cards do not work for DirectTV nor Dish Network, so I will not be needing this in my build. I guess this question can be marked answered.

Had such a thought but since i’m in europe I have least to no experience with dTV etc.