Best Dual Layer Discs?

vbimport

I keep hearing Verbatim are the Best, but they’re quite expensive since i can find them at best at 14 Euros for the 10 pieces cakebox. While Maxell/Philips go lower, reaching 9.8 Euros. Is it worth it though, considering the risk of a bad burn?

BTW i own a pionerr 116D atapi drive.

[QUOTE=therock003;2545479]Is it worth it though, considering the risk of a bad burn?[/QUOTE]
It’s not worth it, the only good and reliable alternative to Verbatim are the FalconPro DL media.

So you think maxell are not reliable and thus not worth it?

Havent heard of FalconPro and they dont seem to be accesible to my country. So i guess that only leaves my with Verbatim.

[B]Do you think that 14 Eur for 10 pieces is reasonable, or are there places internationally with better prices?[/B]

[QUOTE=therock003;2545479]While Maxell/Philips go lower,[/QUOTE]

There is a reason they go lower on price and it is called [B]LOWER QUALITY DISCS[/B] and to me
it isn’t worth saving a little Money, Dollars, Euros, whatever you want to call it just to have to
toss out one disc after another for bad burns… then how much have you saved overall? :doh: :confused:

The problem is that with the Maxell/Phillips you never know who is making them. Keep in mind that most name brands outsource to other manufacturers. Verbatim on the other hand produces all of their own D/L media made by their home plant(s) in Singapore (they do outsource their single layer media but use strict quality control standards on them). The point is that when you outsource they often outsource to several different manufacturers with varying quality standards. So one pack you purchase that is made by one manufacturer might be better than another. The other thing is that they can change out manufacturers at the drop of the hat, so even if you get lucky and get a line that is decent quality you might purchase several more packs just to get a different (or several different) new manufacturers. It’s all about who is willing to give them the best price at the time. With the other brand labels I have given up on keeping track on who is making them for this very reason. So you can go with the best most universally compatible double layer media or try and skimp and save some money and play russian roulette with the other labels. I prefer to play it safe. As expensive as the media appears to be, you need to ask yourself is what you are backing up/burning worth more than the Verbatim?

Last I checked SVP shipped all over Europe. Not sure on the conversion rate but have a look at these and see if it saves you any:

http://www.svp.co.uk/technology/consumables/blank-dual-layer-dvd/dual-layer-dvd-non-printable/verbatim-dual-layer-dvdr-dl-azo-8x-branded-packs-10_spindle-tub-of-10.html

http://www.svp.co.uk/technology/consumables/verbatim-8x-full-face-printable-dual-layer-dvd-dl-in-packs-of-25_spindle-tub-of-25-43667.html

EDIT I just checked xe the currency site and apparently it’s 9.67 Euros for the 10 pack and just over 27 Euros for the 25 pack. Obviously that doesn’t include tax or shipping but it might be worth looking into.

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2545693]Last I checked SVP shipped all over Europe. [/QUOTE] Unfortunately they stopped shipping outside the UK quite a while ago and they still don’t ship to the rest of Europe as far as I can tell.

[QUOTE=therock003;2545572]So you think maxell are not reliable and thus not worth it?

Havent heard of FalconPro and they dont seem to be accesible to my country. So i guess that only leaves my with Verbatim.

[B]Do you think that 14 Eur for 10 pieces is reasonable, or are there places internationally with better prices?[/B][/QUOTE]
Do not know where you are located but here are some Falcon Distributors
http://www.falconrak.com/agents_and_distributors.html

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2545710]Unfortunately they stopped shipping outside the UK quite a while ago and they still don’t ship to the rest of Europe as far as I can tell.[/QUOTE]

Really??? Looks like Jester may need to re-open his double layer media shipping business. :bigsmile:

Yesterday afternoon i purchased my first 10x Verbatim Super AZO cakebox (My prior experience being the 25x cakebox printable surface), and i had my first unsecccesful burn.

Pioneer 116D burner, using imgburn at 2.4x speed, to write an iso. Verification failed somewhere on the middle.

Disc ID: MKM-003-00

[QUOTE=therock003;2545797]Yesterday afternoon i purchased my first 10x Verbatim Super AZO cakebox (My prior experience being the 25x cakebox printable surface), and i had my first unsecccesful burn.

Pioneer 116D burner, using imgburn at 2.4x speed, to write an iso. Verification failed somewhere on the middle.

Disc ID: MKM-003-00[/QUOTE]

Could you post the Transfer Rate Test results (press F2 in Nero CD DVD Speed)?

I reburnt the image a few minutes ago, with no read errors this time. It just suprised me that even Vebatim failed with a great burner at slow speed.

I’ll try the Nero speed tool later, but first i need to burn a few more images.

[QUOTE=therock003;2545802]It just suprised me that even Vebatim failed with a great burner at slow speed.[/QUOTE] You may think that the slowest burning speed is the safest, but for this 8x rated media the slowest speed may in fact not be optimal at all. I would avoid burning any media at 2.4x in a desktop DVD burner unless it’s specifically rated at that speed.

If you’re using a slimline DVD burner in a laptop, you might not have as much choice of burning speed, however.

But i kept hearing suggestions that 2.4 is the best. Not only is it not, but i’m waiting for 45 minutes until completion for no reason?

Exactly. Slow burns are better for cheaper quality media. I have had some of my best results at 8x or even 10x on those MKM-003 discs. That is one of the advantages of spending more for quality media. You can get great burns at higher rated speeds. :wink: Incidentally try doing a 10x burn (as the Pioneer burners are capable of it) on the media some time and see how it turns out. Even on the 2.4x rated Verbatim D/L discs I have never gone slower than 4x on a burn and got the exact same results at 6x as I did at 4x, so I always burn at 6x on them now.

how do you mean by exact same results? How do you rate your results?

Nero CD/DVD Speed. When doing an error rate scan they would come out about the same whether I burned them at the rated speed or the higher speed and this was true of the 2.4x or 8x official rated discs (codes MKM 001 and MKM 003). Unless something has changed though you will need to have a Lite-On or Benq drive to get an accurate scan. Tried doing one with my Pioneer once and that was just plain hilarious as the results were all over the place.