Best drive to burn TYG03 DVD-R?

vbimport

I decided on taiyo yuden watershield dvd-r 16x (TYG03) as my primary distribution media for home made dvd.

Using nero cd/dvd speed to scan, I noticed the PI error rate usually starts off high, then gets lower towards the center of the scan, then gets higher again near the edge. Is there anything I can do to reduce the starting and ending PI errors?

If something did not burn well, it usually happens near the end. I tried burning at different speed and 8x seems to be the best using a pioneer DVR212D (firmware 1.22).

Perhaps there is some burning software that varies the burning speed depending on the position of the track to improve reliability?

Would be even better if the burning software can test different burning strategy on a sacrifice disk to determine the best burning strategy.

What drive did you use to scan, and can you upload a screen shot of a scan?

Try burning at 6x in your Pioneer drive - that’s the best burn speed for TYG03 in my Pioneer 111 and 112 series drives.

burnthruDVD,
Many will confirm you findings in relation to TY 16x rated media.
In that, in terms of quality 12x or even 8x is more desirable than 16x.
Whereas TY 8x rated media does almost as well @ 12x.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2143498]Try burning at 6x in your Pioneer drive - that’s the best burn speed for TYG03 in my Pioneer 111 and 112 series drives.[/QUOTE]

You have way too much time on your hands to play around with 6x. :eek:

My Pioneer 110/111/112/115 all did very well @ both 8x & 12x.

[quote=soulsurvivor;2143502]You have way too much time on your hands to play around with 6x. :eek:[/quote] It’s not necessary to stare intently at your computer for the 10 minutes it takes to burn a full DVD at 6x. :wink:

Agree with everything said in this thread–6x is a good speed to use, but 8x and 12x aren’t too bad. If you feel like saving ~2 to ~4 minutes on a full burn, 8x and 12x can be OK to use; as far as I know, 8x on TYG03 doesn’t really affect the disc quality as far as playback is concerned, and 12x is still decent enough.

I’d still like to see a scan, though. :slight_smile:

lets see some scans :slight_smile: