'Best' Drive for Scanning?

Hi

Sorry if this gets asked a lot and I know ‘best’ is a subjective term. I quess the question could be ‘Which drive that is currently available would you buy for purely scanning purposes?’

All opinions appreciated.

LiteOn 20A4P or at least that series.

I would be very interested in hearing CodeKings take on this. My favorite at the moment is my 20A3P.

An old Plextor 716.

The 716 has only average reading capabilities which makes it very sensitive to problems. It will slow down in a TRT or show higher levels of Errors in a PI/PO test unless the burn quality is of really high quality. Also scanning functionality is very complete (also for CD).

[QUOTE=hwp;1974240]An old Plextor 716.

The 716 has only average reading capabilities which makes it very sensitive to problems. It will slow down in a TRT or show higher levels of Errors in a PI/PO test unless the burn quality is of really high quality. Also scanning functionality is very complete (also for CD).[/QUOTE]

and very boring on plextools, lol.

[QUOTE=chaosoffar2k;1974008]LiteOn 20A4P or at least that series.[/QUOTE]

I scanned the same (with a 20A4P at 8x burnt) DVD+R once with a Benq 1655 and got a quality score of 0 ! - then again scanned it with the 20A4P itself and scored 90 ! -> so which of both scans should I give more credit :confused: - ???

take a look here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/lite-dh-20a4p-post-your-scans-here-231051/index16.html#post1973518

btw, (1 post below) my second burn seemed way better, and both the 1655 and 20A4P gave similar results, however just from score (more PIF spikes with Benq scan, etc)…

Also, I wonder if anyone else´s drive is that noisy as mine (loud humming noise especially at spinning up, no matter if reading or writing) - I read around at customer reviews, and people´s comments on that matter are very different - from “very quite drive to…very very loud” - !? did I maybe get a bad unit (with some “cheaper / louder” spindle motor) - ?

[quote=berky;1974486]btw, (1 post below) my second burn seemed way better, and both the 1655 and 20A4P gave similar results, however just from score (more PIF spikes with Benq scan, etc)…[/quote]Don’t compare Lite-On and BenQ raw scanning numbers since the two burners use different scanning formulas. A PIF spike of “1” on a Lite-On is comparable to a spike several times that on a BenQ.