Best Drive For DVD-R

vbimport

Which is the best drive to burn DVD-R discs. I am asking specifically from a standpoint of compatiblity with all media. Burn speed is a secondary consideration. My ideal drive would burn cheaper media at a slower speed, but make no coasters.

I am considering the following drives:

LiteOn 811s
NEC 2500a
Pioneer 107
Sony 530A

While the dual media compatibility is an asset to me, I anticipate most of my burns will be to DVD-R discs.  Thanks for the input.:iagree:

The 811 is a great drive, but if you’re interested only (or mostly) in dvd-r, look at the new liteon 812 as it will do 8X with both + and - r media.

As you want good writing quality on cheap DVD-R media, most probaly, either the NEC ND2500a or the Pioneer DVR-107 is the best choice for you.

I think that some reading around the forums will help you making your decision, but you absolutely should read this thread as it contains very very good information concering the quality of writes on different media by these two drives.

i own a liteon 411s and i havent been impressed with it, but i guess the 811S might be alittle better. the 411S made around 90% dvd-r and 20% dvd+r into coasters, a friend of mine that has a pioneer 105 burnt the same dvd-r media i tried with the 411s with excellent results, so i decided to buy the pioneer 107D and its been a great drive with both dvd-+r media and so far no coasters.

for the dvd-r the lite on is crap!!
the pio 107 is a good choice!

My NEC 2500A writes -R discs just fine.

Hey,Lone,got a question for you. I recently bought a TDK 880N,which is a rebadged NEC like what you have. My question is
does it burn 4X DVD -r media at 8x? Hit me back when you can…Thanks

Just don’t get LiteOn… It sux with -R!!!

Originally posted by digitaldoc

Which is the best drive to burn DVD-R discs.
- = The inventor of the format = -

Originally posted by RoughRob
Hey,Lone,got a question for you. I recently bought a TDK 880N,which is a rebadged NEC like what you have. My question is
does it burn 4X DVD -r media at 8x? Hit me back when you can…Thanks

It depends on the media. NEC does have a supported list somewhere on their website, in PDF format here:

http://www.necd.de/software/1449_Media_List_for_8x_DVD_Writer.pdf

I’m using Ritek G04 4x -R media. The drive doesn’t recognize them at higher than 4x, but reliable burning at a reasonable price is a bigger deal to me, and I have yet to have a bad burn after about a dozen discs.
You might want to check with Hoxlund or rdgrimes on this one; I think they both have the same NEC drive.

The super-expensive discs seen here are the only ones that burn at 8x,so hopefully the two you mentioned will see the posts ,and give me a affordable solution. Thanks for your feedback…:cool:

By the way,BoSkin,did’nt you have a Sony??? Inquiring minds want to know… :bigsmile:

Originally posted by RoughRob

By the way,BoSkin,did’nt you have a Sony??? Inquiring minds want to know… :bigsmile:
LOL. :bigsmile: Yeah, of course, you’re right. :iagree:
See, I’ve always liked Pioneer - have had their products throughout my life,
so it kinda feels natural for me to praise Pioneer.
Besides, I’m really interested of buying their DVD-writer.

Hopefully, my answer won’t be disappointing for you, “Eagle-eye” RoughRob. :wink: