Best drive for CD-audio burning

vbimport

Hi,
I’m looking for the drive currently produced for burning audio discs. The drive must support burning at x8 & x16 speed. The quality of recording is most important. What do you suggest?
f.

Even you are trying to find new drives, I would suggest to buy a used Yamaha CRW-F1. They are great. Or some Plextor Premium or Premium II.
Try here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Yamaha-CD-Brenner-CRW-F1-IDE-mit-Zubehor-und-Software-/131520822543?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item1e9f407d0f

Otherwise I would suggest to use some LG GGW(/C)-H20(L/N). they are very good at CD writing.

But very important is to use high quality CDs. I suggest Taiyo Yuden. You can also find them as JVC branded.

Or use some newer BD RE drives from Pioneer. I have 207EBK and it writes very well on Taiyo Yuden CDs or other good CDs (not sure what to name here … like Verbatim or Sony)

I still burn quite a few CDs for listening in the car. I use Taiyo Yuden cd-r (MID: 97m24s01f) along with an LG BH14NS40. I occasionally do a quality scan using a LiteOn iHBS112 and have very low C1 levels.

I do not have one LG BH14NS40. I suppose I will have soon one external version it this model, so it might be possible to make some tests in the future. But I suppose it burns fine on that CD type.

[QUOTE=texasjackson;2754534]I use Taiyo Yuden cd-r (MID: 97m24s01f) along with an LG BH14NS40.[/QUOTE]
I bought these discs recently and I am disappointed. My TEAC W512EB can’t burn them at 8x. The quality of discs burned at 16x (LiteOn recorder) is good but nothing special.
AK

The W512EB is an old CD-RW drive, yes? I think that MID is a bit new in comparison, and I can’t guarantee that you’d have good results.

And which LiteOn recorder? Very few LiteOn drives (beyond…2004? 2003?) do amazingly well with CD-R, with a few exceptions along the way.

[QUOTE=Albert;2754592]The W512EB is an old CD-RW drive, yes? I think that MID is a bit new in comparison, and I can’t guarantee that you’d have good results.[/QUOTE]
Yes, my TEAC is old CD-RW drive, but it works fine with TY-JVC I bought in 2014.

[QUOTE=Albert;2754592]
And which LiteOn recorder? Very few LiteOn drives (beyond…2004? 2003?) do amazingly well with CD-R, with a few exceptions along the way.[/QUOTE]
Not this one. It’s DVD writer - DH20-A3H.
AK

[QUOTE=AlKwas;2754613]Yes, my TEAC is old CD-RW drive, but it works fine with TY-JVC I bought in 2014.[/quote]Weird. Sorry for doubting the drive. I must always remember that media is variable. :wink:

Not this one. It’s DVD writer - DH20-A3H.
AK

Oh, yeah…that’s one of the drives from the time period where LiteOn actively produced test firmwares for public trials. On only a couple of drives did they address CD-R/RW performance (the DH20A4 drives, and maybe the 16x SHW/SHM-16**6S drives), with the rest mostly focused on DVD writing quality. No one ever said if the test firmware for the DH20A3 series ever enhanced CD-RW writing, though I think people were OK with the CD writing quality (jitter with A3 drives was apparently acceptable).

[QUOTE=Albert;2754625]Weird. Sorry for doubting the drive. I must always remember that media is variable. ;)[/QUOTE]
Look at this:
http://club.myce.com/f77/taiyo-yuden-76069/index13.html#post2754679
AK

[QUOTE=AlKwas;2754681]Look at this:
http://club.myce.com/f77/taiyo-yuden-76069/index13.html#post2754679
AK[/QUOTE]

Given the scanning drive, not bad.

Was the 20A3 also used to burn it? (I didn’t see that information in the post, and must add it to meet the requested post format for that forum).

[QUOTE=Albert;2754704]Given the scanning drive, not bad.[/QUOTE]
Not bad, but older discs were better…

[QUOTE=Albert;2754704]
Was the 20A3 also used to burn it? (I didn’t see that information in the post, and must add it to meet the requested post format for that forum).[/QUOTE]
Yes, the same unit used to burn and scan disc (therefore, I gave no additional information). Unfortunately, I can’t edit post and add this information.
AK