Best Defragment utility

Hi, I was wondering if there was a better defragger then microsoft defragger as it is 5yrs old, free if possible if not doesnt matter.

Take a look at this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=183447

(Hint: use the [cdfsearch=defragger]search[/cdfsearch] function :wink: )

Regards, :slight_smile:

ET

There’s also Power Defragmenter by eXcessive Software which is a free defragmenter using SysInternals Contig as back-end.

Here’s a review.

It doesn’t run automatically and it doesn’t show pretty pictures, but it’s faster than the Windows defragmenter and it gets the job done.

There’s also a free System File Defragmenter (PageDfrg) utility from SysInternals

Great info and link to the eXcessive and SysInternals combination apps, Dragemester :flower: - a very flexible utility (defrag either files, folders, or disk). Now I know what to quickly use before burning MPEG2s in one folder…

BTW I can’t remember the last time I saw such a useful app (Contig) at only 26 KB

Yep, Drage is the “Useful Software” man :iagree:…thanks from me also for those links :flower:

O&O Defrag, we had this 1000x times before.

My current favourite defragmenter is IOBit Smart Defrag. It’s free.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2293705]My current favourite defragmenter is IOBit Smart Defrag. It’s free.[/QUOTE]

Working good for me to.
Works a lot quicker than Microsoft’s.

what i’m using just now is Defraggler, it’s also free

Defraggler

My favourite is Defraggler, which is also freeware. :slight_smile:

It may not be a fast defragger, but it seems to work better on more heavily fragmented volumes than Microsoft’s default one. Also, anyone who tried defragging on Vista has likely seen how basic the new defragger has become, doing away with the disk layout view altogether.

The main thing I like about this one is its ability to defrag individual files. For example, any fragmentation on my 1TB drive seems to have no impact on the most of the content since even a heavily fragmented video file would still give enough read throughput to play. However, there are certain files where fragmentation does matter, such as ISO disc images where throughput needs to be many times higher than realtime playback in order to keep the writer’s buffer filled throughout the burn process. In this case, all I need to do is select these individual files in Defraggler and it defrags them without the time consuming process of defragging the entire hard disk. Edit: I see Bjproc shows this :wink:

Another thing I have done, which is best done before installing windows is have my hard disk split up in 3 partitions - OS partition, user profile partition and data partition. The big advantage here is that OS files generally only accumulates fragmentation when installing/removing software and updates and not with small files accumulating in the user profile (e.g. documents, pictures, temporary files, etc. regularly added & deleted from everyday use) I keep my multimedia and other bulky content in the third partition, as generally files are only added to this, so fragmentation stays pretty low.

I use the portable version of JK Defrag.

I am a fan of Diskeeper 2009 Professional edition. Defrags very thoroughly including system files, in low space etc and is full automatic, so just install and leave it alone. Keeps my 1x640GB + 3x500GB drives in great shape.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2293705]My current favourite defragmenter is IOBit Smart Defrag. It’s free.[/QUOTE]

Yo Roar-

Totally agree - i’ve been using it for over six months and it is quick - easy to use and above all FREE-eh!! :iagree: :iagree: :clap: :clap:

Diskeeper came preinstalled on my Vista PC.It seems to work OK & is fast.
It is the one my Vista uses even from R click on a drive & properties / Tools.
If I need or want the MS defragger I have to type dfrgui in Start/Run.
btw this doesn’t work in Safe mode.

Another vote for JK Defrag…Not suggesting it’s the [I]best[/I], but it works…

[QUOTE=cholla;2294758]Diskeeper came preinstalled on my Vista PC.[/QUOTE]Hey, I already banned a diskeeper spammer in this thread :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=cholla;2294758]Diskeeper came preinstalled on my Vista PC.It seems to work OK & is fast.
It is the one my Vista uses even from R click on a drive & properties / Tools.
If I need or want the MS defragger I have to type dfrgui in Start/Run.
btw this doesn’t work in Safe mode.[/QUOTE]

Soo, your Vista works…? :bigsmile:

I am using Auslogics Disk Defrag and it works pretty well me thinks, plus it is free.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2294965]Hey, I already banned a diskeeper spammer in this thread :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Included is a hard price to beat.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2294969]Soo, your Vista works…? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
I used to have Windows ME so by comparison my Vista works very well.
With Windows 7 coming out Vista might be the new Windows ME.

USE IOBit Smart Defrag. you will get good rusults.