Best DAE drive for constant disc ripping?

Hey all, I am in charge of ripping discs from our suppliers (we are an online audiobook seller) and we are putting together a faster server and I wanted to get some new drives, the absolute fastest and most reliable on the market for straight disc ripping. The drives don’t need to have recording capability, although I understand finding a straight CD drive nowadays is near to impossible…

Let me know your experience, and reviews on the fastest damn ripper on the market today,

thanks!

Hi and welcome!

The ripping speed also depends on the software that is used. As all modern drives are similar concerning speed, it nearly doesn’t matter what drive you chose. I agree, that using a writer is not necessary, and a plain DVD-ROM or CD-ROM (I can still get some, if I want) should be good enough.
Unfortunately, there aren’t very much tests for that drive type out there, so recommending a particular drive is difficult. Maybe other users share their experience.

Michael

I will continue to use Exact Audio Copy as it has never failed me yet :slight_smile: I have a preference for plextor drives from years ago, but was wondering if there was any new units tailored specifically wiht DAE in mind…

Hi,

I see. My fastest CD-Ripper with EAC is my LG 4163B DVD writer. All my other drives are much slower. Maybe a LG DVD-ROM is a good option…
If I use EAC in burst mode, then there is not much difference.

I have a preference for plextor drives from years ago, but was wondering if there was any new units tailored specifically wiht DAE in mind…
Hm. Recent Plextor DVD-ROM is a rebadged Benq drive. Just found some reviews at cdrinfo.com - maybe there is something useful for you.

Michael

Constant ripping is about the most abusive thing you can do to any drive. I’d go with the cheapest thing you can find that also does the job speed-wise. Consider them disposable drives, and buy several at a time. NewEgg has LiteOn and LG DVD-ROM drives for under $20, so buy one of each and try them out.