BEST current model CD BURNER?

I am looking for the best replacement cd burner for my computer. I don’t have or need a dvd . Should I go with a" CD BURNER " from the likes of Plextor, Lite-On, Sony… only or combo drive?
Thanks

[QUOTE=Darthpoo9;1935007]I am looking for the best replacement cd burner for my computer. I don’t have or need a dvd . Should I go with a" CD BURNER " from the likes of Plextor, Lite-On, Sony… only or combo drive?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

A good advice why do you want a cd burner when dvd burner will be a better buy and are newer technologies??? You should go and read other users experiences with various dvd burners and pick one from that lot. For me I currently have LH-20A1H LL0C model…

I would avoid the combo drives and most DVD burners are not as good as a dedicated CD burner, at least I have found this true for about 15 different DVD drives.

I would probably suggest a Liteon drive given that the Plextors are pricey. I would also suggest burning at speeds under 20X. My Plextor Premium consistently throttles down below 20X when I set it for quality.

[QUOTE=Darthpoo9;1935007]I am looking for the best replacement cd burner for my computer. I don’t have or need a dvd . Should I go with a" CD BURNER " from the likes of Plextor, Lite-On, Sony… only or combo drive?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

i assume your only burning audio cd’s? … cause if your burning data discs… it’s FAR cheaper (especially in the long run) to burn DVD’s.

p.s. to sum up a basic figure. CD-R’s cost about 20cents each, DVD+/-R’s cost about 40cents each… so in other words for the same price you would have 2 cd’s (1400MB total) vs 1 dvd which is (4700MB) total for the same price (40cents or so) … so your getting about 3 times the space for the same price :wink:

basically just not smart to burn CD’s for data backup as you get alot more for your money with DVD’s it’s just the initial upfront cost, costs a little more than CD’s.

cause dvd burners are pretty cheap nowadays (50 bucks tops out the door on most websites. although generally speaking you probably pay closer to 30-40dollar area)

[QUOTE=chas0039;1935455]I would avoid the combo drives and most DVD burners are not as good as a dedicated CD burner, at least I have found this true for about 15 different DVD drives.

I would probably suggest a Liteon drive given that the Plextors are pricey. I would also suggest burning at speeds under 20X. My Plextor Premium consistently throttles down below 20X when I set it for quality.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know where in the tech field your getting your info from but most dvd drives are combo writing and reading both CD and DVD media??? And anyone buying a CD burner only nowdays need to just go to the local electronics store and see they most likely would recommend a DVD burner as they are newer technologies and will do alot better for the money. And where are you getting the info on your DVD drives?? If your going to make such a claim you should post the info where your getting the kinda info.

I use Plextor Premium. They still can be purchased on ebay and other sites.

Keep it cool… Coolcolors. Your question was recommendations, everyone has their makes and models they like so if you want techs. for everyone who responds to your post then don’t post! I have seen many times that there is always someone smarter or has more knowledge than you without having to proove themselves. Sony is what I recommend.

For my money-I went with Sony drives. Highly reliable for me over the years. I have both a CD/DVD combo and a DVD-RW drive. Both work flawlessly with Verbatim and Memorex media when burning with Ashampoo Burning Studio. I agree that slowing down when burning DVD’s is a better idea. As was said above-everyone here has their favorites.

I am looking for a CD burner for “strictly audio”. Is there any current or past makes and models that burn “Audiophile Quality” music CD’s??? Are the older 2001-2004 year Plextor’s excellent and will they work with current media? Are today’s current CD’s burner better at ripping audio only?

My LG CD burner is great for burning audio discs with low jitter (but then I use 16x for audio, which also helps ;)).

The model number is GCE-8520B. :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
Anyone who is serious with regards to audio ripping/burning.
The Plextor [B][U]Plexwriter Premium2[/U][/B].
Still made & marketed by Plextor is the drive to go for. :iagree: :bow: :cool:

/me hugs her LG :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t mind a Premium2 myself. :wink:

It’s a toss up between my Premium and my Premium 2. Only two CD-R burners i have had in quite a few years.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1936678]Keep it cool… Coolcolors. Your question was recommendations, everyone has their makes and models they like so if you want techs. for everyone who responds to your post then don’t post! I have seen many times that there is always someone smarter or has more knowledge than you without having to proove themselves. Sony is what I recommend.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, that you don’t understand from what I am asking but that is quite alot even for endusers… Also I never said they should buy what I had - if you read closer I said to go and read what end users have given their experience on the units they bought and used. And how do you know if I don’t have more knowledge then them and didn’t say or mentioned it because everyone has different experiences…

[QUOTE=THE C.;1936678]Sony is what I recommend.[/QUOTE]Sony builds frontplates, no drives. Sony branded drives are either Liteon, NEC or Samsung rebadges.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1935721]I don’t know where in the tech field your getting your info from but most dvd drives are combo writing and reading both CD and DVD media??? And anyone buying a CD burner only nowdays need to just go to the local electronics store and see they most likely would recommend a DVD burner as they are newer technologies and will do alot better for the money. And where are you getting the info on your DVD drives?? If your going to make such a claim you should post the info where your getting the kinda info.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to get you so upset. Combo drives are generally considered to be CD burners that will also read DVDs. Of course DVD burners will also burn CDs, so there is generally no reason to make any reference to these as combo drives.

I would be amazed to find any [I]experts[/I] at a local electronics store. Those people are in sales and rarely have any idea of the differences between burners.

My recommendations come from a few years of burning experience and scanning with 15 different burners and 10 different typed of media.

[QUOTE=chas0039;1938791]Sorry to get you so upset. Combo drives are generally considered to be CD burners that will also read DVDs. Of course DVD burners will also burn CDs, so there is generally no reason to make any reference to these as combo drives.

I would be amazed to find any [I]experts[/I] at a local electronics store. Those people are in sales and rarely have any idea of the differences between burners.

My recommendations come from a few years of burning experience and scanning with 15 different burners and 10 different typed of media.[/QUOTE]

That is a possible true of those at department stores…and no I am not upset or mad getting back at you or anyone…it’s just that I only had used only 2 burners and replaced with two new burners that I am using now and in the past had about 2 CD-ROM only. It was that I never thought anyone would use that many burner and scanning when I only had a total of 4 burners. My first two was HP that I would never buy again…and last two currently using now Liteon models…