Best, current, all-around DVD-RW under $40 for "Joe Blow"

vbimport

I should define “Joe Blow”. Joe (and Jane) Blow only cares about it just working… with whatever media is thrown at it, read or write, without making abnormal noises (or being especially loud). They don’t generally care about Lightscribe, and they certainly have no interest in free software that allows them to scan for C1 errors.

I personally use Plextor in my machines, and have a 755SA loose for OS installs and when disks plain just won’t read right in other drives, but when I’m building a system for a client, I just need a drive that fits Joe Blow’s needs.

I used to use Samsung, but I had a number of them die on me a year later in client’s machines, so then I went to Asus, but the easy-to-use CDBurnerXP seems to have hit’n’miss compatility with the Asus drives (I’ve never had a client that liked my runner-up, Imgburn…GUI too geek-speak and feature-heavy).

Any suggestions? Here’s what my local store stocks:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=1015

Also, is the firmware and software all that separates current Plextor re-brands and the (usually Liteon) originals? The trays on all my Plextor drives have always seemed to open, close, and seal with a sense of quality. Even my Plextor PX-B820SA Liteon-rebrand seems to close with a satisfying “K-CHUNK”… but I haven’t compared it to the supposedly almost identical Lite-on original.

I would have recommended the Samsung SH-S243D out of that list, but you don’t seem to be very confident in that brand right now. LG’s tend to be a bit more fussy about poor media. No one seems to like the Pioneer 218 very much around here, or at least if they do, they aren’t making much of an impression on the rest of us with great praise for the drive.

The 24x Lite-on should be a good all rounder for general use. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=45244&vpn=IHAS124-04&manufacture=Liteon

Always happy with LiteOn drives.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2549875]I would have recommended the Samsung SH-S243D out of that list, but you don’t seem to be very confident in that brand right now. LG’s tend to be a bit more fussy about poor media. No one seems to like the Pioneer 218 very much around here, or at least if they do, they aren’t making much of an impression on the rest of us with great praise for the drive.

The 24x Lite-on should be a good all rounder for general use. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=45244&vpn=IHAS124-04&manufacture=Liteon[/QUOTE]

I’m not particularly against the Samsung, as I asked some employees at NCIX, and they said it was just one particular model that had a high failure rate… but the Samsungs and the LGs are consistently the lowest priced drives, and then go even lower on sale… and they are ALWAYS on sale. $17 just seems… TOO cheap for a DVD-RW. The Liteon you listed is the highest rated one on newegg right now, so I guess it’s the safest bet.

Thanks for the input thus far. Anyone else have any insight into the latest DVD-RW models?

[QUOTE=TechonNapkins;2550132]I’m not particularly against the Samsung, as I asked some employees at NCIX, and they said it was just one particular model that had a high failure rate… [/QUOTE]
I just wanted to ask if you were told which Samsung model in particular? I just hope it isn’t the model I have.

Unfortunately it’s been awhile. I think it was one of the 18x or 20x units.

[QUOTE=TechonNapkins;2565789]Unfortunately it’s been awhile. I think it was one of the 18x or 20x units.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn’t have been this one then?

Lite-on IHAP122-19 22x Internal.