Best copy protection

I was wondering what the best cd copy protection method that companies use these days(the hardest to copy). I myself have found that Starforce is very good and why not all/most of the companies use it. I have read on many forums that the only way to run backed up copies of starforce games(eg. worms 4 mayhem) is to run them through a usb cd/dvd drive.

Welcome on CDF! :slight_smile:

this depends on what you call ‘best’, but…

yeah, many people are having trouble with SF3, as you just cannot copy it. And if you watch a little back in the past, you’ll see that up to today more and more companies are using it for protecting their software / games.
a year or two ago, only very very few games were protected with SF, but nowadays more and more publisher use it. best example is UBI-soft - they use it on every new game they release…

well, acutally there is a simple way of playing SF protected games, even if you cannot burn them (properly):
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1236634&postcount=3
btw: i think(!) that the USB method won’t work any more with the new starforce versions. starforce people ‘fixed’ this issue quiet fast… :wink:

:slight_smile:

I myself have found that Starforce is very good and why not all/most of the companies use it. I have read on many forums that the only way to run backed up copies of starforce games(eg. worms 4 mayhem) is to run them through a usb cd/dvd drive.

StarForce is indeed very very good. Unfortunately when uninstalling a StarForce-protected product, the manufacturer tends to leave the StarForce drivers on your system :(.

i don’t want to start a disussion, but compared to SecuROM, the SF3-drivers are - in some way - ok…
at least for SF, there IS a tool available, to remove the drivers from your system.
SecuROM 7 drivers just stay there, you won’t ever be able to remove those - and at least I don’t know, what the SecuROM drivers are able to do…

Just my opinion, but the best copy protection is no protection. as opposed to the best household protection.
1)reasonable locks
2)big ole dog
3)12 guage pump

:slight_smile: