Best cooler for PIV >3.0Ghz FSB=800Mhz

All right, the topic title says it all:

What is the best cooler for a Pentium IV running on at least 3 Ghz with a 800Mhz FSB.

With best I mean:

1. best cooling performance
  2. then noise production
  3. price.

I don’t want watercooling (to much work).

I’ve used the search, but couldn’t find anything quickly.

If you are not going to OC at all or very hard, the Stock HSF does a very good job.

Well I’m planning to overclock as far as possible, that’s why I want to replace the standard HSF.

Any idea’s?

the SLK-900U is easily the best heatsink on the market now. it has the best cooling abilities, plus it’s able to use 92mm, 80mm, and 70mm fans, so u can choose the fan (along with cfm and noise level) that u want to go along with it. 92mm would be the obvious choice if u want the highest possible cfm to noise ratio. the SLK-900U costs about $45 here in the US without a fan.

Yup, Thermalright SLK-900 is the creme of the crop in the CPU air cool solution market. A bit pricy though. If you’re looking for something cheaper w/ similar performance, check out Zalman CNPS7000-Cu. Comes integrated w/ 92mm fan, quiet and performs very well.

Originally posted by Stoner
Yup, Thermalright SLK-900 is the creme of the crop in the CPU air cool solution market. A bit pricy though. If you’re looking for something cheaper w/ similar performance, check out Zalman CNPS7000-Cu. Comes integrated w/ 92mm fan, quiet and performs very well.

Where can I find reviews of the Thermalright SLK-900?

I thought it was ThermalTake or am I mixing things up??

Yes, you’ve mistaken the shit w/ shit. Thermalright makes the SK6, SK6+, SK7, AX-7, SLK-700, SLK-800, SLK-800U, and SLK-900U heatsinks. Except for AX-7, they are all Cu.

Thermaltake on the other hand makes the shitty volcano series heatsinks that a lot of people likes 'cause it comes w/ the auto rpm adjustable smart fan.

Google for SLK-900 reviews, they are popping up left and right this week. Here’s one by Overclockers.com to get you started. Check out their heatsink ranking table also.

Originally posted by Namoh
[B]

Where can I find reviews of the Thermalright SLK-900?

I thought it was ThermalTake or am I mixing things up?? [/B]

http://www.frostytech.com/

Originally posted by Sorondil
[B]

http://www.frostytech.com/ [/B]

Nope, doesn’t have a single SLK-900 review on that site, except for 2 links.

I doubt you would need a SLK-900 for a pentium, they are mostly used by us crazy AMD nuts because these things sizzle. the SK-7 or SLK-800 should be more than enough and leave some room for your fingers in there! The 2 smaller models will cool very well with the right thermal paste. The 120mm fan support on the larger coolers offers the option of a quieter fan, but at the expense of space. The 900 requires MB mods on some MB’s.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
The 900 requires MB mods on some MB’s.

Do you know if a MB mod is needed for a MSI 875P NEO, S478, 4xDDR, USB2, 1394, 2xSATA RAID, GLN??

Thanks.

i’m not sure what kind of modding rd is referring to, but the 900U should fit on all p4 mobos cuz they’re all required by intel to have a certain amount of clearance around the socket and to provide the 4 mounting holes u’d need to install it.

@rd: i saw u posting on amdforums, i’m starting to become a regular there. :bigsmile: as soon as i get some time and order my slk-800a, i’m gonna see what my 2400+ and 8rda+ (just bought a few weeks ago) can really do.

if you dont look at the price then you go for the Swiftech MCX4000-T.
its absolutely P4 OC heaven with that cooler.

Originally posted by Maelstrom
if you dont look at the price then you go for the Swiftech MCX4000-T.
its absolutely P4 OC heaven with that cooler.

No, that’s actually called wasting money for no reason at all. For that kinda money ($90 w/o 80CFM, an additional $14), why don’t you just go H2O? I mean it’s as “safe” as Peltier w/o the freaking fan noise.

the swiftech definitely doesn’t cool as well as the slk-900, or even the slk-800.

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]

No, that’s actually called wasting money for no reason at all. For that kinda money ($90 w/o 80CFM, an additional $14), why don’t you just go H2O? I mean it’s as “safe” as Peltier w/o the freaking fan noise. [/B]

1. he said that he dont care about the money
  2. because he doesnt want to

@ AZImmortal
that sound more like an reply from a thermalright fanboy instead of someone who does know his numbers…

i’m a “fanboy” for no company, and my previous comment about the swiftech was aimed at the MCX4000 (i missed the -T).

Originally posted by Maelstrom
1. he said that he dont care about the money
2. because he doesnt want to

If he doesnt’ care about money, get a LN2 system. Using peltier isn’t in any way safer than CO2 system. In fact, it might be more dangerous.

i never said that it would be safe®
but if he doesnt want H2O this an alternative