Best cooler for PIV >3.0Ghz FSB=800Mhz

vbimport

#1

All right, the topic title says it all:

What is the best cooler for a Pentium IV running on at least 3 Ghz with a 800Mhz FSB.

With best I mean:

  1. best cooling performance
  2. then noise production
  3. price.

I don’t want watercooling (to much work).

I’ve used the search, but couldn’t find anything quickly.


#2

If you are not going to OC at all or very hard, the Stock HSF does a very good job.


#3

Well I’m planning to overclock as far as possible, that’s why I want to replace the standard HSF.

Any idea’s?


#4

the SLK-900U is easily the best heatsink on the market now. it has the best cooling abilities, plus it’s able to use 92mm, 80mm, and 70mm fans, so u can choose the fan (along with cfm and noise level) that u want to go along with it. 92mm would be the obvious choice if u want the highest possible cfm to noise ratio. the SLK-900U costs about $45 here in the US without a fan.


#5

Yup, Thermalright SLK-900 is the creme of the crop in the CPU air cool solution market. A bit pricy though. If you’re looking for something cheaper w/ similar performance, check out Zalman CNPS7000-Cu. Comes integrated w/ 92mm fan, quiet and performs very well.


#6

Originally posted by Stoner
Yup, Thermalright SLK-900 is the creme of the crop in the CPU air cool solution market. A bit pricy though. If you’re looking for something cheaper w/ similar performance, check out Zalman CNPS7000-Cu. Comes integrated w/ 92mm fan, quiet and performs very well.

Where can I find reviews of the Thermalright SLK-900?

I thought it was ThermalTake or am I mixing things up??


#7

Yes, you’ve mistaken the shit w/ shit. Thermalright makes the SK6, SK6+, SK7, AX-7, SLK-700, SLK-800, SLK-800U, and SLK-900U heatsinks. Except for AX-7, they are all Cu.

Thermaltake on the other hand makes the shitty volcano series heatsinks that a lot of people likes 'cause it comes w/ the auto rpm adjustable smart fan.

Google for SLK-900 reviews, they are popping up left and right this week. Here’s one by Overclockers.com to get you started. Check out their heatsink ranking table also.


#8

Originally posted by Namoh
[B]

Where can I find reviews of the Thermalright SLK-900?

I thought it was ThermalTake or am I mixing things up?? [/B]

http://www.frostytech.com/


#9

Originally posted by Sorondil
[B]

http://www.frostytech.com/ [/B]

Nope, doesn’t have a single SLK-900 review on that site, except for 2 links.


#10

I doubt you would need a SLK-900 for a pentium, they are mostly used by us crazy AMD nuts because these things sizzle. the SK-7 or SLK-800 should be more than enough and leave some room for your fingers in there! The 2 smaller models will cool very well with the right thermal paste. The 120mm fan support on the larger coolers offers the option of a quieter fan, but at the expense of space. The 900 requires MB mods on some MB’s.


#11

Originally posted by rdgrimes
The 900 requires MB mods on some MB’s.

Do you know if a MB mod is needed for a MSI 875P NEO, S478, 4xDDR, USB2, 1394, 2xSATA RAID, GLN??

Thanks.


#12

i’m not sure what kind of modding rd is referring to, but the 900U should fit on all p4 mobos cuz they’re all required by intel to have a certain amount of clearance around the socket and to provide the 4 mounting holes u’d need to install it.

@rd: i saw u posting on amdforums, i’m starting to become a regular there. :bigsmile: as soon as i get some time and order my slk-800a, i’m gonna see what my 2400+ and 8rda+ (just bought a few weeks ago) can really do.


#13

if you dont look at the price then you go for the Swiftech MCX4000-T.
its absolutely P4 OC heaven with that cooler.


#14

Originally posted by Maelstrom
if you dont look at the price then you go for the Swiftech MCX4000-T.
its absolutely P4 OC heaven with that cooler.

No, that’s actually called wasting money for no reason at all. For that kinda money ($90 w/o 80CFM, an additional $14), why don’t you just go H2O? I mean it’s as “safe” as Peltier w/o the freaking fan noise.


#15

the swiftech definitely doesn’t cool as well as the slk-900, or even the slk-800.


#16

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]

No, that’s actually called wasting money for no reason at all. For that kinda money ($90 w/o 80CFM, an additional $14), why don’t you just go H2O? I mean it’s as “safe” as Peltier w/o the freaking fan noise. [/B]

  1. he said that he dont care about the money
  2. because he doesnt want to

@ AZImmortal
that sound more like an reply from a thermalright fanboy instead of someone who does know his numbers…


#17

i’m a “fanboy” for no company, and my previous comment about the swiftech was aimed at the MCX4000 (i missed the -T).


#18

Originally posted by Maelstrom
1. he said that he dont care about the money
2. because he doesnt want to

If he doesnt’ care about money, get a LN2 system. Using peltier isn’t in any way safer than CO2 system. In fact, it might be more dangerous.


#19

i never said that it would be safe®
but if he doesnt want H2O this an alternative