Best consumer SSD of 2013

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following review: Best consumer SSD of 2013[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/12/award-95x75.png[/newsimage]

2013 has been a busy year for the editors
here at Myce.com. The review team having tested and reviewed many SSDs and
other digital storage hardware. We thought it would be interesting for our
members if we shared our thoughts with you all regarding what we consider to be
the best consumer grade SSD of 2013 from the ones that we have tested.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/best-consumer-ssd-of-2013-70014/](http://www.myce.com/review/best-consumer-ssd-of-2013-70014/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I think you hit the nail on the head, but, I seriously believe that if OCZ could have been successful in their business model and stayed competitively priced, I would have overwhelmingly voted for the Vector series. But the fact remain, if I can buy a 1TB SSD that is a great performer for the same price I can buy the 480gb Vector, its almost a no brainer. The OCZ Vector 150 is a better SSD, but just not that much better to spend twice the amount for the same storage. JMHO.

Sorry, but the 840 is not a winner at all.
This benchmak-optimized impostor which can provide high write speed only for some seconds don´t impressed me at all.

Bit it seems to be that the Samsung-hype won´t die :frowning:

All it needs is to print “Samsung” on a product, however how bad the product is

I’m working on a 1tb Evo right now with 25% over-provisioning and it runs like a champ. I’m with you, the Evo is an outstanding SSD with a great price.

Too bad about OCZ, i have two Vectors 256 in RAID 0 on my gaming rig and they’ve been flawless, plus a number for vertex 3s and 4s that have never given me any trouble. SSDs would not be where we are today without OCZ constantly moving the technology forward and hopefully, especially now that they have access to Toshibas nand foundrys, the OCZ team will be unleashed and their innovative DNA will be kicked into overdrive and they will push the boundaries of the technology even harder than before. Given what they’ve accomplished on such tight resources in the past, the future is looking pretty bright.

For 2014 I’m eagerly anticipating the first 3d-nand drives to hit the market from Samsung. Bring it on guys.

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2715039]Sorry, but the 840 is not a winner at all.
This benchmak-optimized impostor which can provide high write speed only for some seconds don´t impressed me at all.

Bit it seems to be that the Samsung-hype won´t die :frowning:

All it needs is to print “Samsung” on a product, however how bad the product is[/QUOTE]

:bigsmile: it’s true that samsung has done some very smart tweaks, and during benchmark you can get outstanding performance, but to me the 840 evo and the Crucial M500 are the two drives that really made an impact on the SSD market, both of them have excellent performance for daily tasks and most importantly they can be found with an acceptable price when it comes to larger capacities.

I know, I own many SSDs.

The M500 is not the fastest, but the 240GB is ~ 15€ cheaper than the 840 Evo and have better NANDs.

The prices of bigger capacities give more advantages to the M500. If you look at the best value you will go with the M500

If you want power you will go with a newer OCZ, a SSD with a LAMD-controller, Plextor M5P or Samsung 840 Pro.
Especially the Seagate 600 is a great choice, ~ 145€ for a SSD with LAMD abd 19nm Toshiba-NAND.

So the 840 Evo is not worth to get a hype

Very disappointing, even if I never think that myce.com isn´t 1st address for SSD-recommends

large capacity choose M500
small capacity choose M5S

I own some of both, and some Sandisk

But the M5S is atm to expensive, the Sandisk UltraPlus 256GB is 20€ cheaper than the M5S, and often you can get the Sandisk 30€ cheaper.

So the Sandisk and M500 are the real choices, except you are a Samsung-Fanboy or don´t understand the Samsung-Benchmark-tricks

Wischmop, the reviewers here are all well aware of the limitations of using synthetic benchmarks, and ALL manufacturers make sure their SSDs will do well in synthetic benchmarks.
That’s why here we do a lot of ‘real world’ tests as well.

We took all aspects of the SSDs we had tested here, performance, price, stability, features, and the complete package of what is available for each SSD.

The fact of the matter is this. Every single SSD I mentioned in the article are exceptionally good SSDs, and no doubt there were countless others that I didn’t mention which are every bit as good. We only mentioned a select few of the ones that were tested by the review editors, the ones we thought deserved an honourable mention.

We also clearly stated that our choice was made for consumer grade SSDs. These are normally SSDs that will be used in a normal users PC. If the article had been based on a ‘workstation’ class user environment, then we would have most likely chosen another SSD range as the winner.

Also, all SSDs write speeds slow down when the SSD is pushed hard, especially the smaller capacity ones. In any case, a normal PC users workload is largely read based, and not write based, and I do have a huge amount of analyser traces to back up that statement.

Still don´t understand your choice. Is the cheap-manufactured 840 Evo so much cheaper than other SSDs in your country?

I understand that the expensive -but fast- OCZs are not choice No.1, but why the Evo?

Do you have tested a Sandisk Ultra Plus? It deliver high write speeds all over the capacity and it´s cheaper and thanks to the MLC more reliable.

For ppl who don´t push the SSD to the limit it´s no matter that the Evo can hold the write speed only for a few seconds. But these ppl would also be happy with all SSDs on the market.

For Power-Users (like me) the “few-seconds-high-write-speed”-benchmark-optimized-Evo is just a joke.

Especially if I get a cheaper Sandisk with much more power, or for 7€ more a Seagate 600 with LAMD and Toshiba 19nm-MLC and it´s more a competitor the the 840 Pro than to the Evo

I have no idea where you got the ‘EVO can only hold its write speed for a few seconds’. That is not what I found, or for that matter how many other reviews sites found the EVO to behave.

Here is the latest 'sustainable performance’profiles from the latest review.
The test pattern is run for 20 minutes, and its workstation based, with a very heavy workload, and also all the SSDs in these tests are already filled to 80% of their capacity before the test data is added and the test is run.

I’d like to see some of your test data that supports your view.

I write often many GB of data on some of my SSDs.

The 250GB Evo have a 3GB TLC-Cache which is used as SLC and can wrote 520MB/s, this means after 7 seconds (the Cache give to data to TLC-NAND, otherwise it would be less than 6 s) the speed drops down to around 260MB/s, which means it´s actual one of the lowest write speed. It´s like the M500, but the Crucial is cheaper, more reliable and don´t optimized for benching

http://anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/4

Ah now I see. Without trying to put words in your mouth. It’s not acceptable for a benchmark to show an SSD in its best light? But its acceptable to show a benchmark that shows an SSD in its worst light?
That test over at Anandtech is totally synthetic, and based solely on 128K seq write. As I said, our test here uses real world data and a real workload.

However, I think we will just have to agree to disagree with each other about the EVO, and that is perfectly fine by me.

The situation with the Evo is: I would see this issue after some seconds in a real-life-scenario, so it´s not totally synthetic

This is independent of any benchmarks.

And I see you was also fooled by Samsung, the benchmark-optimizing and the typical Samsung-hype have done it´s work

Maybe you now angry about me because I showed you the truth? Your answer sound so

Your answer sound not like an answer from an independent reviewer.

But however, everybody who read and see this should be realize the truth :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2715173]The situation with the Evo is: I would see this issue after some seconds in a real-life-scenario, so it´s not totally synthetic

And I see you was also fooled by Samsung, the benchmark-optimizing and the typical Samsung-hype have done it´s work

Maybe you now angry about me because I showed you the truth? Your answer sound so

Your answer sound not like an answer from an independent reviewer.

But however, everybody who read and see this should be realize the truth :)[/QUOTE]
Please supply us with specific real-world scenarios that show the issues. Maybe other people can try these tests out with the 840 EVO (as well as other drives) and report back.

No one disbelieves you, but at the same time, Dee and others have formed their own opinions because they have had different experiences. You have to give them a chance to see what you are talking about. :wink:

I already did it :wink:

Take a 2nd SSD with read-speeds over 500MB/s and copy big files over 10GB to the 840 Evo and ýou see what I´m talking about :slight_smile:

I can´t believe I´m the only one who dothose things.

And the other question, nobody answered: Is the Evo so cheap in other countries?

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2715173]The situation with the Evo is: I would see this issue after some seconds in a real-life-scenario, so it´s not totally synthetic

And I see you was also fooled by Samsung, the benchmark-optimizing and the typical Samsung-hype have done it´s work[/quote]Nope not fooled by anyone. All review sites know that manufacturers supply us with review samples because it’s good marketing for them. Do you honestly think we don’t know this?

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2715173]Maybe you now angry about me because I showed you the truth? Your answer sound so[/quote] You haven’t shown us anything, other than something that you think supports your argument.

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2715173]Your answer sound not like an answer from an independent reviewer.[/quote] Now I’m angry. I let what I write speak for itself. I present the test results, and they are there for all to see. You can either agree with what I write or not, but don’t ever accuse me of being biased.
I didn’t vote for the EVO on my own. All the hardware reviewers voted for it as well. That’s what [B]‘voted unanimously’[/B] means.

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2715173]But however, everybody who read and see this should be realize the truth :)[/QUOTE]Nah, it is just your opinion.

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2715185]
And the other question, nobody answered: Is the Evo so cheap in other countries?[/QUOTE]

The cheapest 120GB and 240GB here in Greece is the Kingston V300, and samsung is in the same price as the M500, if we move forward to +480Gb the samsung and again the M500 are both very well priced compared to other drives.

OK, that this would be my last post before I get deleted.

@vroom

Well, the M500 240GB is around 18€ cheaper than the 250GB Evo, Sandisk atm 8€, but in the last weeks it was often 15-20€ cheaper

The M500 480GB is around 40-50€ cheaper than the 500GB Evo

So I never will make the conclusion that the Evo is the best bang

Bye, Man :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2715197]OK, that this would be my last post before I get deleted.

@vroom

Well, the M500 240GB is around 18€ cheaper than the 250GB Evo, Sandisk atm 8€, but in the last weeks it was often 15-20€ cheaper

The M500 480GB is around 40-50€ cheaper than the 500GB Evo

So I never will make the conclusion that the Evo is the best bang

Bye, Man :)[/QUOTE]

I think I can see what your point is. Crucial M500 and some of Toshiba’s latest products are based on MLC chips whereas EVO’s are based on TLC, yet EVO’s cost more.

However, that is not the situation in every market. Only one or two models from Crucial are cheaper than Samsung’s and only from certain retail channels. I think it’s safe to say EVO’s are the cheapest of all.

I recommend M500 and Q Pro when and where they are cheaper than EVO. In South Korea, the cheapest is Samsung’s, back-imported from the US. That means South Koreans have to import Samsung drives from stores like Amazon.com, newegg.com, eBay.com.

Personally, I would choose Apple Mac Pro for the best consumer SSD of 2013. The next candidate would be Apple 13-Inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display with 1TB PCIe SSD option. They are not exactly “consumer SSDs” though.