Best config for watching divX?

vbimport

Hi,
I need a little help finding the best config for the following system to watch divx via the tv-out on tv.

cel 466@525
160 MB RAM
20 Gig Maxtor 5400
V3 3000tv-out

WinME
changed from desktop-Comp to networkserver
DMA on
virtual mem min:200 max:600

the avis run from hard disk …

The most important thing is your CPU power. A 500 should do the job correctly at all resolutions!
Do you have probs watching DivX?!

Hi,
sometimes the movie stops for a moment, sometimes it slows down - not very often, but I would be more happy without it ;-).

I normaly use the fast motion codec of divx

Very strange I also have problems with DivX lately

I have a Dual cel 500 128 mb.

It sometimes stops a little, and the sound & video are not in 1 line :frowning:

I use WMP, but I just tryed BSplayer, and the movie also slows down…

never had problems in the past

I’m having the same probs with my Pentium III 650.

Seems like it depends on the way the divx is made. Some of them run smoothly others stutter like hell and get out of sync.

I’ve drecreased my colors to 16 bit. It helps a bit but the prob isn’t completely gone.

:confused:

Who has the remedy?

Try Smooth Player… It has a 15% less CPU load. Could help :slight_smile:

I don’t really think it depents on the color depth. Even on my Duron (800@1030) I sometimes have the feeling that it doesn’t run smooth and I changed from 32 to 16 bit and vice versa.
Maybe the used encoding program could have something to do with.

Which softw. do you use? I normaly take FlaskMPEG ver.6

I had the same problem as
Redd Ears
But to over come this I found this patch that makes it run smoothly, it only jerks if I use a really damaged cd.
Email me and i’ll send it to you
itsdalien@hotmail.com

Did anybody get the patch yet and tried it?

Originally posted by spidermove
[B]Hi,
sometimes the movie stops for a moment, sometimes it slows down - not very often, but I would be more happy without it ;-).

I normaly use the fast motion codec of divx [/B]

A DivX can be made in a few ways. One way is when the creator uses the Low Motion codec, another way is the creator uses the Fast Motion codec and the last way is that the creator combines the Low and Fast Motion codec to make a DivX with SmartBitrate Control. That last type is most of the time the best way cause the codec automaticly switches between the 2 codecs when nessecery. (Low in slow scenes, Fast in fast scenes.)

But there is no way you can choose which codec you want to use before watching a movie!! The creator has already chosen that when he/she made the movie! :stuck_out_tongue:

put it this way. The more money u put into it the better it will look!
ChicaneWeaver
(also use GDIVX, cause it rocks)
:):):slight_smile:

put it this way. The more money u put into it the better it will look!

EXACTLY!!!

I have a k6/2 450(heap of crap), this solved my problems

http://www.tac.ee/~prr/videoutils/DivXAF.0_3.zip

I have the same problem over here. My gues is that the dma settings has something to do with it. Does that make any sense to you?

Hmm very interesting. Something I am gonna try in about 5 minutes - > DMA make sure it is on my primary pc.

Sometimes the operating system makes a big difference too! I have a dual-booting Win98se/Win2000 pc and the movies start and stop something awful on the Win98se. On the Win2000 - flawless! Same hardware, same hard drive. Go Figure!
“straight shootin”
RomRanger
romranger@hotmail.com

Well made many movies and all work fine except the first one which was fine until about three weeks ago. Then I went from flask to nandub and probs. This first movie and only that one I cant play smoothly even though its the one with lowest bitrate I have done. To play it properly this is what i do. Change the refresh rate, usually the lower it is the better. Even though its at its lowest, increase the dame thing and then decrease it. Let me know if this helped. Oh if this did not work then let me know and also then try the new dirextx 8.1 648 beta

You use fast motion codec?

I’d say its a better idea to use the Low motion codec all the time… or if you really like the fast motion, get the 322b which puts both together…

Originally posted by Louse76
I’d say its a better idea to use the Low motion codec all the time… or if you really like the fast motion, get the 322b which puts both together…

Using SBC like explained @ GameFreaks place or using the Makefilm principle (tuto here) also combines a Low Motion & Fast Motion movie.
For the best kwali I suggest you do that!