Best Codec Pack for Download

vbimport

I would like the forums opinions on the best codec pack to download.

PLUS, if I download a new codec pack, is it recommended to uninstall a previous codec pack, and/or all other codecs on my computer.

Thanks.

for video:
http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm
with the FULL one installed, you’ll be able to watch as good as everything you can find… :wink:
watch here to see what’s included…

you should un-install previous codec packs for best compatibility…

don’t install any “packs”. just install single codecs as needed

I agree with G)-(osters.

Common codecs:

For older (low motion) 3.x DivX files

DivX 5.xx at videohelp.com

Matroska (MKV)
Matroska DL site: http://packs.matroska.org/

The QuickTime Alternative

The Real(player) Alternative.

XViD

OGG DriectShow filter - OggDS/OGM codec

As for players, I recommend:
Media Player Classic - This is one I use.
VLC (VideoLan Client)
The Core Media Player (TCMP) - This is the other one I use. It can install the necessary files for playing Matroska and OGG/OGM Vorbis.

On a side note, some people prefer to Install FFDShow, but Im not familiar with it.

from the k-lite page:

The K-Lite Codec Pack has a couple of major advantages compared to other codec packs:
- It it always up-to-date with the latest versions of the codecs.

• It is very user-friendly and the installation is fully customizable, meaning that you can install only those components that you really want.
  • It has been very well tested, so that the package doesn’t contain any conflicting codecs.
  • It is a very complete package, containing everything you need to play your movies.

btw: i have installed this package since many many versions (so, a very long time) and it makes absolutely no troubles - runs very fine, no config needed, just install it, reboot, that’s it… :slight_smile:
the only thing i do change while installation is, that i uncheck the “install movie player” checkbox (on the very top of the list), so only codeds are installed, 'coz i don’t need that many different movie players on my machine… :wink:

I agree with G)-(osters. Just install indivisual codecs. You don’t know what kind of conficls may occur, or yyour computer may become codec swamped.