very good. It has high access times, supports DVD-ROM only, and
does not handle the Fast Error Skip feature. I want a 16x/48x
(or 16x/40x) that does not produces lots of noise (like Asus
drives), can read audio/data subchannels, DVD-R/W and/or
DVD+R/W, and of course a fast and reliable drive. I can’t
decide between LiteON and Toshiba. Which is the best one, in
your opinion. I think LiteON sucks with audio
protections, isn’t it?

You can’t get an neutral answer when you post this kind of question in the LiteON forum :wink:
So I moved it for you.

I can only say that the JLMS (LiteOn) 166S reads every DVD-format, it reads data-subchannel, it’s fast, and reliable :slight_smile:

I have the Toshiba SD-M1612 , it works great , is fast.

I have no clue if it reads subchannel data , but i have confidence it does , since it reads about everything that’s in the market for cd and dvd.

It’s a pain to get it region free though…

And what about the 165H model? I can’t find the 166S in Portugal either. There are any big differences?

The specifications for the 165 and 166 is identical, so if you can’t find any 166 then a 165 is just as good.
They only replaced some of the components in the 165 with new ones and called it 166.

Originally posted by Airhead
The specifications for the 165 and 166 is identical, so if you can’t find any 166 then a 165 is just as good.
They only replaced some of the components in the 165 with new ones and called it 166.

Yes, but if they replace some components, it’s because they need to. The 166S model should have anything better…

Or they found someone who made the same parts but cheaper, or the parts were phased out of production, and replaced with new parts… Could be alot of things.

Are the parts significant or can we also overclock the the 165H to the 166 :stuck_out_tongue:

I own a Toshiba SD-M1612, it’s reads everything with clone cd.

very good dvdrom/cdrom drive !

Originally posted by debro
Are the parts significant or can we also overclock the the 165H to the 166 :stuck_out_tongue:

I think somebody said it was the “drive servo” that had been replaced.
But I have no idea what that is… :slight_smile:

The drive’s servo, it’s the servo motor, which makes the disc spin.

Doesn’t the 6 represent the 6 series chipset?

okay, I was curious about this myself, so i tried it out. First I downloaded the XJ (when did they add that?) 166S DS0B flasher and opened it up in my hex editor. Changed it so it looked for 165H with firmware CH0N through CH0Q. Ran it, and it let me past the warnings, and I clicked flash. Got a weird error, which I will post in addition to the pic since it may not be up forever “Write Buffer> 04 3E 01. 02, 05A7”

Of course it then said “Flash failed”. Ran the 165H flasher to see if it would let me flash, and the drive is now “DVD-ROM BOOT, with firmware 0002”

If someone with a 166S will back up DS0B from their drive using mtkflash, I would be willing to try it out again. So for now I guess, 165H cannot be turned into 166S.